Custom African Mahogany pen box and pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cnccutter

cnccutter

I just got done with a custom kitchen for a client and had a little lumber left over. the entire job was out of African Mahogany. I thought it wood be fun to surprise them and give them something as a thanks for the job so I made a box and pen set.

The lithophane in the lid is of her when she was a child. it was a picture hanging in the hall way and I snapped a shot of it one day as I was leaving. I converted it into a 3D topography and cut it into Corian. the picture ended up only about 25 thousands thick. the light coming through the Corian turns the carving back into a picture.

I gave it to her at the end of the job, and though she was going to cry.

Erik

Attachments

• pen box open.jpg
    pen box open.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 200
  • pen box and pen open.jpg
    pen box and pen open.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 200
  • pen box lid closed.jpg
    pen box lid closed.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 159
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gr8danish

Holy crap! That's UBER slick... Do you have a CNC mill, or did you send off the Corian to someone else?

ldb2000

Fantastic work on this combo !!! What a wonderful gift for her , it's no wonder why she was so moved . Great job !!!
I love the design of the box , very elegant and compact . I hope you don't mind but I might just steal.....err .... borrow this design , not the photo idea just the box with a different inset .

cnccutter

I have a cnc flat bed. will take a 48 X 96 of sheet goods. I have done a lot of theses Lithophanes over time. they can be a real attraction. trouble is they are time consuming to cut. this one is one 4 X 7 and took 1 1/2 hours to cut. 33 hours is the longest run I have done. most people can/wont pay for the time on the machine.

Butch... go ahead and copy all you want... that's what friend are for :biggrin:

Erik

Holy crap! That's UBER slick... Do you have a CNC mill, or did you send off the Corian to someone else?

Top Bottom