Custom .50cal Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Since several got to see this at the MAPG I figured I might as well show the rest of ya :tongue:.

As far as I can tell I have never seen another one before. It took a lot of figuring to get it all to work together. My buddy Tyson (jyreene) gave me the challenge a few months back and here's the end product! I'm really happy with this one. It's surprisingly well balanced! I used a #6 Bock nib with it. It also has the Marines emblem engraved on it :usflag:

I owe Delbert (Ohiococonut) a HUGE thank you for sending me some brass and bullets to use.

DSC04646 (566x700).jpg DSC04649 (681x700).jpg DSC04651 (551x700).jpg DSC04654 (495x700).jpg DSC04659 (597x700).jpg

Thanks for looking!

Carl Fisher

I think SICK is an understatement there Seamus. What I want to say isn't fit for public posting :biggrin:

So the bullet tip cap is longer than what we see when it's capped. Are there actually threads in there or does it press fit?

Janster

........very nice. Looks like Lake City Brass! Appears to me to be a press fit as I do not see external threads on the section. Bummer..no clip..LOL. It would be great for a desk or tribute pen. Just bit bulky for a carry pen. Well done Jonathon!....Jan

Last edited:

ohiococonut

So THIS is the project you were talking about. Very NICE!
I've never seen anything like it.

Even though you got what you wanted I still think I got the better end of the swap. I got blanks from Jonathan Brooks! :biggrin:

Anyone that buys or swaps with Jonathan knows he is very generous. He sent me some beautiful, uncommon and rare blanks in return. And much more than I expected.

mlconnelly

That is incredible Jonathon!! A friend at work just asked me if I knew anyone who was making a fountain pen out of a single casing. What a great pen. Tremendous work. Your work amazes me.

OZturner

What a showpiece, Jonathon.
It must border on Lethal.
Certainly a Handful.
There are probably some breweries with less brass than that pen.
An Awesome Pen and Superb Craftsmanship.
Brian.

Crashmph

Awesome pen! I got to see it first hand at the MAPG. Just don't try flying through Colorado Springs with that pen, or any other bullet pen for that matter. I had some of my pens confiscated at security because they looked to "real".

Brooks803

dude that is SICK!!!!!!!! I love it!! Does the bullet thread onto the section inside?

Thanks Seamus! No threads on the bullet itself. I made a bit of a relief shelf inside the neck for the bullet to sit on while capped. Held on by friction.

I think SICK is an understatement there Seamus. What I want to say isn't fit for public posting :biggrin:

So the bullet tip cap is longer than what we see when it's capped. Are there actually threads in there or does it press fit?

I'll have to show it to you next time we hang out. I don't want to give away to much just yet. Besides, now that it's been posted publicly I'm sure there will be a kit version out in 6mo or less :mad:

........very nice. Looks like Lake City Brass! Appears to me to be a press fit as I do not see external threads on the section. Bummer..no clip..LOL. It would be great for a desk or tribute pen. Just bit bulky for a carry pen. Well done Jonathon!....Jan

Thanks Jan. Oh this is strictly a desk pen. Definitely not something you want to carry around in your pocket all day!

Very cool Jonathon, I am suprised that after showing it off any where that you still have it, that it didn't grow legs and walk off.

Mike

Thanks Mike! It was really fun to show it to everyone. Most people picked it up just to see the engraving and had no clue it was a pen (which is what I wanted!) until I told them to take the bullet out. The look on their faces was priceless :biggrin:

So THIS is the project you were talking about. Very NICE!
I've never seen anything like it.

Even though you got what you wanted I still think I got the better end of the swap. I got blanks from Jonathan Brooks! :biggrin:

Anyone that buys or swaps with Jonathan knows he is very generous. He sent me some beautiful, uncommon and rare blanks in return. And much more than I expected.

Thank you Delbert! It couldn't have happened without your help. I saw we both got a great deal!

That is incredible Jonathon!! A friend at work just asked me if I knew anyone who was making a fountain pen out of a single casing. What a great pen. Tremendous work. Your work amazes me.

Thanks Mike! If there's enough time in the day when you come out maybe we can squeeze one of these into everything else we have planned to do.

Awesome work Jonathon. Glad I could push you. Might as well just get a bigger pen holder so I can just steal them all at once.

Thanks Buddy! I'm sure this will be left unguarded for an undetermined length of time when you get back stateside. Besides...it's not like I put the Air Force emblem on there :wink:

MarkD

Lets see you make the primer pop out and use it as a pump to fill an ink reservoir inside the casing! :biggrin:

glen r

That is a fantastic job Jonathan on both the pen and the engraving. My only comment would be that the casing, according to the mark on the primer, is used. It would be interesting if on the next one you burn off a new primer and then press it into the case. The result, a 50 cal. unfired fountain pen.

Brooks803

Lets see you make the primer pop out and use it as a pump to fill an ink reservoir inside the casing! :biggrin:

Ooohhhhh....that or make a blind cover out of a firing pin and make it into a bulb filler! :cool:

I've even drawn up a bolt action version of this :eek:

That is a fantastic job Jonathan on both the pen and the engraving. My only comment would be that the casing, according to the mark on the primer, is used. It would be interesting if on the next one you burn off a new primer and then press it into the case. The result, a 50 cal. unfired fountain pen.

Thanks! I had thought of that. But I didn't want to have to explain to any "authorities" that it wasn't a live round.

Carl Fisher

I'll have to show it to you next time we hang out. I don't want to give away to much just yet. Besides, now that it's been posted publicly I'm sure there will be a kit version out in 6mo or less :mad:

Sad but true

Top Bottom