Curtis Cactus.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from el_d

el_d

Got some cactus blanks from Curtis, and they are some of the best looking blanks I have ever come across. Almost did'nt want to cut them up. But I did :biggrin: :cool:

I used 1 Blank for the PITH and sent it to bitshird, and the other blank was used for a ZEN and an Aero for my wifes birthday. 3 pens out of 2 blanks:wink:. The ZEN and the Aero are the perfect size to use up 1 blank with no extra cutoff. The longclick left a small amount that I will need to find a use for.:rolleyes:

The depth to these banks are AWSOME and the color combos you can add are a real hit. I used some Red and Blue Automotive Touch up paint for reverse painting of the tubes. The alumilite turns easily and the final product was very well recieved.

Thanks Curtis, I know cactus is a real PIA to mess with. Coments and suggestions are appreciated.......

Attachments

• blue cac_edited-1.jpg
    blue cac_edited-1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 370
  • cactusaero.jpg
    cactusaero.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCF1161_edited-1.jpg
    DSCF1161_edited-1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

They all look great, but that Zen is AMAZING! Love that deep blue color. Is that color part of the blank, or just the automotive paint showing through an otherwise clear casting?

Those are all incredible looking. I've got a couple sitting on my shelf just waiting for my skill level to improve to the point where I'm comfortable enough to touch a chisel to 'em.

el_d

Thanks for the nice comments, :biggrin: The blanks are super easy to turn.

I used the "Standard" ca finish to seal the cactus and the touch up paint is the only color used on these clear blanks.

Here is a close up of the clear blank. It has great depth to it.

Attachments

• Zenclose.jpg
    Zenclose.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 151

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Looks great, Lupe! Would you allow me to post some of your pics on my website, with attribution, of course?

The blanks that you got came from a batch using a new process that I just came up wtih to get even better skeletons wtih better color. Looks like the effort was worth it. Great looking pens!!

el_d

Not a problem Curtis. Be my guest. :biggrin:

The blanks came out really nice however you did them. I do like the alumilte....ALOT.:wink:

jttheclockman

Add me to the list of thinking they turned out super. Great job casting the blanks by Curtis and great job spinning them.

I have a question on the blank. When turned down does the cactus become exposed when turning and if so how do you cover it?? If you use CA does this adhere well to the alumilite??? Does it change the color or clarity of the alumilite??? Thanks and thanks for showing.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have a question on the blank. When turned down does the cactus become exposed when turning and if so how do you cover it?? If you use CA does this adhere well to the alumilite??? Does it change the color or clarity of the alumilite??? Thanks and thanks for showing.

I am not Lupe:eek: but I certainly do know the answer:biggrin:

When you turn the blank, the cactus skeleton is certainly on the surface of the blank. I HIGHLY recommend putting some time of film finish on the finished pen to encapsulate the cactus. The skeleton is so dense that it does not like to absorb dye but I am concerned that over time, it may absorb oils or moisture and cause problems. I have the oldest cactus pen (Obviously!) and it does not have a film finish and still looks good but who knows.

CA works GREAT on Alumilite and sticks just fine. I started putting a CA finish on Alumilite to get a better gloss (not needed with the new Crystal Clear) and have not had any adherence issues with long term use. And no, it does not change the color or clarity of the Alumilite.

All of my blanks come with a "brochure" with turning tips and finishing suggestions. This information is included in that brochure.

jttheclockman

Curtis thanks for seeing my question and fully answering them. Whatever process you are using now I think is a big step up, not that the first ones were bad but you can see the difference and the depth shows even in the photos that people are showing. Have to say that was a great individual find and you brought it to the next level. Great work on the blanks and thanks again.

bitshird

Having carried the red one and using it for the past few days, I gotta say it's a great pen, Lupe did a great job, I'll bet the others are just as sweet thanks Lupe.

el_d

Thanks for all the nice coments. Curtis makes a great blank and they are very easy to complete. Not Chipy like PR and I only used my Woodchuck. Didnt touch the Skew, I still need practice at the skew. I would think a beginner could get the same results.......

Top Bottom