Curly maple slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick_G

Rick_G

I managed to liberate 3 chunks of curly maple from the BIL's firewood pile. The center band, finial and accents are all Ziricote and the white band is a piece of old credit card. The first two chunks yielded 57 blanks like this. One more chunk I haven't cut up yet. Black Ti. slim kit from Wm. Woodwrite. This is the first pen out of it.

Attachments

• DCP_2009.JPG
    DCP_2009.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timberbits

Nice pen and congratulations on the rescue.

Its always great finding a great piece of timber in the firewood pile. It feels better than winning the lottery, not that I have ever won the lottery.

I once did the same thing, but the find was from timber that was ear-marked for fence posts.

David

Hosspen

Very nice curl and stripe! That gives me a great idea for my wife's credit card! Ha ha! I've yet to use the Zircote wood, How does it turn? Is it very stable? Thanks for sharing your fine skills.

Rick_G

I've yet to use the Zircote wood, How does it turn? Is it very stable? Thanks for sharing your fine skills.

It turns ok, I get a lot of fine checks in it and if your tools are not really sharp you will tear out small chunks. If you get a piece with both heartwood and sapwood you need to be very careful. The sapwood appears much softer and it's very easy to go out of round when sanding.

I've made a few pens with it and it appears to be oily. If I don't wipe it down well with alcohol before I start finishing it is hard to get a good finish.

Top Bottom