Curly Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from denniszoomy

denniszoomy

Got some curly maple planks they had a beautiful swirl pattering to them so I decided I would cut off part of it and make a pen out of it. As you can see once it was turned it lost those lovely swirled pattern. The pen is a vertex click pen. C&C Welcome

Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

It may not have the curl that you were hoping for, but it is still a very nice pen. If you want to easily see the curl in a pen, you will need a blank with 4-6 curls per inch. If you can find one that has 6-8 curls per inch, then you really have a rare commodity.

ttpenman

I have turned quite a bit of Maple when I worked at a hardwood mill. Made some beautiful pens but was always frustrating when you got a blank that looked like it would make a nice curly or birdseye pen and all the figure got turned away, leaving a very plain pen. Did try some dyes but never could find the right 'golden' color for Maple. Alwasy too yellow or too orange. Probably the fact I have very little patience didn't help much.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

OZturner

A Nice pen Dennis,
If you have some more, it would go very well with a Dark, Segmented, Celtic Knot.
Great Fit and Finish,
Congratulations.
Brian.

Top Bottom