Curly Mango Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LabTrnr

LabTrnr

Bad picture but fantastic wood! Instrument grade curly Mango from Maui, CA finish. This is my favorite so far.

20085814622_5-08%20pens%20009.jpg

20085814643_5-08%20pens%20007.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Beautiful wood, and I must say that the fit and finish look superb. I'd bet that if you had laid a straight edge against those pieces before you assembled the pen, that they were arrow straight bushing to bushing turnings. I gotta say, that IMHO, this kit is one of those where given the taper of the end pieces and the large curve in the clip, a straight b to b tends to look almost concave after it's put together. I think a little curve to the wood would have looked better overall, but that's just my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions) I'd like to hear what some others think about it.

Congrats on a nice pen!

whatwoodido

Are you sure that isn't Curly Koa? I have seen plenty of Koa that looks like that but not any mango that looks like that.

LabTrnr

I just had an email conversation with Shaun in Maui who gave me the blank, she confirmed that it is curly Koa and not Mango as I thought. I have some other Koa that doesn't look anything like this, apparently this is somewhat rare.

As to the shape, with the Jr. Statesman kit I think BtoB looks better, keeps a nice smooth line with the non-postable end. I've seen some done "fatter" and some with beads & coves and I don't like those as much. Guess I'm not much of a "whoop-de-do" guy, I think that sort of thing would detract from a nicely figured blank.

whatwoodido

The BtoB look is my preference too. When asked in the pen turning class I teach the justification for my preference is that why is it that smooth straight lines is all you see from the high end pens in pen stores? If beads and coves and bulges are so sought after why doesn't Mont Blanc have pens that look like that?

Though in all fairness another instructor argues that it lacks that sense of being hand turned if it is BtoB. In my opinion if I can turn it so that it looks like it was made by Mont Blanc I am doing something right.

And should have said the first time that your turned a really nice pen.

Neodon1

Hi All,

Yes you turned a really nice pen. and IMHO, if you like it that's really all that matters. Now to the business of my 2 cents. I make
the Jr. statesman post able and I have to respectfully agree with
jskeen on this one, the size of the pen hardware, gold accent
which to me is more prominent on this style pen lends itself to the
added contour however so slight, as to give the pen for lack of a better description" some body" a little seductive curve , like a fine sports car say Aston Martin, it also tends to pull the hardware
segments together as well. But I must say you turned the heck out
of the blank. Precision wise you killed it! I know it took time and
accuracy, cheers to that aspect, and the wood and the pen kit. I will post my Koa curly Jr. soon just to show what I mean, ever so slight of a curve. But that’s just me, my style and nearly all the pens I design and sell have a very slight curve. I also think it feels better and less crampin to the hand if the is a slight curve.
But I have also seen some really underturned IMHO pens as well.
I design pens for people, hoping they think like I do in this regard, but should a client want B to B, then B to B is what they surely will get. and I don't mean the yellow pages, badda boom,
I'll be here all week>>> Ladies and Gentleman’s thank you very much
drive safely we'll see ya soon. GoodNight!!

Great Job
Neodon [8D]

igran7

Jon, you turned a beautiful piece of wood into a beautiful pen. I personally like the B2B look instead of the "pregnant" look often associated with this pen kit. Nicely done, it is a very handsome pen!

Top Bottom