Curly Koa from Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I bought a box of wood from Wayne and this was one of the pieces. Baron fountain pen in sterling silver with ivory on the end. I got the idea for the ivory from Russ's gallery on the PMG. His were inset, my isn't.

2006218202758_PICT0059-1.jpg

2006218202822_PICT0060-2.jpg

Comments welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

[:0]Beautiful. The ivory was a great idea. Looks like you glued it to the end and turned it with the blank? Nice finish too. That second pic is great. Nice closeup. This will sound wierd but, hey Wayne - nice wood.

gerryr

Thanks for the compliments. The ivory is from old piano keys and yes I glued it to the end after squaring up the end on the lathe and then turned it. I made a small block of wood to push against the end while turning. I think it gave the end some support and also helped stabalize the ivory until it was down to the same diameter as the wood.

BigRob777

Gerryr,
Nice work. Curly Koa is my absolute favorite figured wood. I have a large stash of left-overs (aka cut-offs) from selling them and I am going to make my next "personal use pen" out of it. I just love it. It is the first figured wood I ever saw in "person". I was in Hawaii on my 10th anniversary and took more pictures of the koa that was used to build everything in my hotel, than I did of the tropical paradise around me. That's when my wife knew I was hooked. Now it is in 3 rooms in my house and in my shop. Oh and did I say, "nice pen"? I never would have guessed that silver would look good with koa. You really captured the great color too.
Rob

Mikey

Very nice pen. like the lines and the finish. The Ivory to me looks silver, which I think is even cooler. Also like how your pics show off the finish. Wish I could get my camera to do the same.

Johnathan

Very classic look, I like the ivory and the curves. Your CA finish looks wonderful. I have so much to learn! I think you made a great choice. I like the look of the ivory glued on rather than inset. Again, nice job.[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom