Curly Koa with a little Maple in NH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

So I have this awesome Curly Koa blank sitting around and wanted to do just a little something to make it different. Now mind you this Curly Koa has some real nice Chatoyance to it and is just beautiful on its own. So getting really fancy with it isn't necessary and could take away from the beauty of the wood. So here is what I decided to do with it.

il_570xN.579246735_8qrw.jpg

I hope you like it. C&C always welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree... the chatoyance in the wood is awesome... The simple (for you) four bands are an incredible, understated embellishment - really sets the piece off!

I love seeing work like this. Makes me think ... maybe when I retire...

Well done!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Your right doing something with such a beautiful blank can take away from it....but what you did added to it. Stunning pen with a top notch fit and finish.

ossaguy

That's a classy pen!

I love your accent bands you made,they go so well with the pen kit.

I sure love Koa wood.

Steve

OZturner

Works for me Mike,
You have enhanced the Curly Koa by the segments and Inserts, and certainly not distracted from the Natural Beauty and Chatoyance.
Superb Fit and Finish.
Brian.

kyaggie

Beautiful pen with stunning wood! It's great that the Desire seems to be your "go to" pen of late! US made, solid stainless and simple lines to keep the attention on the blank.

Mike

SDB777

Got to know....how thick were those slices of Maple?

Nice 'lines', it's becoming easy too easy for you......I think you should really 'challenge' yourself next time

Seriously though, the fit-n-finish is top notch! Seems you have found a true 'knack' for the segmenting!!!

Scott (you segmenting PR and wood too?) B

Yes gbpens that is right it was maple veneer that I used. I didn't want to do much. As far as stretching myself I am not sure if I will do that with a component pen or not. I am starting to look at custom pen construction I purchased all of the necessary tools now I just have to execute on what is in my head. Could get interesting soon...

Top Bottom