Curly Koa in gold Euro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from arw01

arw01

1_20090413_euro_curly_koa.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arw01

The Koa is pretty, and curly is a bonus. But I found the wood to be a little soft and had to refinish the top blank a second time. After bending the clip to take some tension out, the scratching seems to be under control.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Very nice work.

If the scratching occured during assembly of the pen, try this: Put a thin plastic tube over the clip during assembly. Several of the kits come with the clip protected by such a tube.

arw01

I'm not sure if that was when it happened or not, I thought it might have been, but the scratch was in the horizontal plane as in when you twist the pen in and out. If the clip end is down really tight perhaps it won't be able to rotate on it's own.

Since then I've been putting the little plastic bag over the clip as I push the pen together just to make sure!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I'm not sure if that was when it happened or not, I thought it might have been, but the scratch was in the horizontal plane as in when you twist the pen in and out. If the clip end is down really tight perhaps it won't be able to rotate on it's own.

Since then I've been putting the little plastic bag over the clip as I push the pen together just to make sure!

Good point, Alan. Another consideration is how long you let your finish cure prior to assembling the pen. I find if I leave the pen unassembled for a few days that the finish is less prone to damage from the assembly process.

FWIW,

Top Bottom