Curly Koa and Ancient Kauri Jr. Gent With Scallops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BW Design Works

Well it's been quite a long time since I've been able to get out to the shop and do some work. This was my first attempt at scallops. Had a few blow up on me but I'm happy with the over all result.

Material is Curly Koa and Ancient Kauri with Aluminum. About 6 or 7 coats of CA for the finish.

Attachments

• P8020986.jpg
    P8020986.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 290
  • P8020992.jpg
    P8020992.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 259
  • P8020989.jpg
    P8020989.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 162
  • P8020988.jpg
    P8020988.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 195
  • P8020990.jpg
    P8020990.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Interesting buttons on the finials. Did you drill the bottom barrel so the "button" would have a recess to grab? Just curious. That lengthwise segmenting is a challenge. Maybe even more than scallops. I've done both, but not on the same pen. Good job! :good:

Interesting buttons on the finials. Did you drill the bottom barrel so the "button" would have a recess to grab? Just curious. That lengthwise segmenting is a challenge. Maybe even more than scallops. I've done both, but not on the same pen. Good job! :good:

Thanks Bob! I actually just used a punch to knockout both inserts then when I made the buttons I left a shoulder on both of them the same size as the original hole. I then used CA to hold it all in place. You can really see it to good but for the bottom button I turned the larger portion first, then drill out the center of that. Once that hole was made I turned another piece of Kauri and glued that inside the Koa. Problem is that I used the end grain instead of the side so it doesn't really show up. I think I'm going to redo that portion so it shows better.

BSea

Thanks Bob! I actually just used a punch to knockout both inserts then when I made the buttons I left a shoulder on both of them the same size as the original hole. I then used CA to hold it all in place. You can really see it to good but for the bottom button I turned the larger portion first, then drill out the center of that. Once that hole was made I turned another piece of Kauri and glued that inside the Koa. Problem is that I used the end grain instead of the side so it doesn't really show up. I think I'm going to redo that portion so it shows better.
Stupid me. I was thinking Jr. Gent, even though I knew it was a Jr. Majestic. I was thinking the bottom was solid as in a Jr Gent. That's why I asked if you drilled it.

I didn't notice the Kauri inside the Koa till you mentioned it. That's a nice touch too. Your idea to redo to give it more contrast should really set it off.

Top Bottom