Willee

Attachments

• CuePens.JPG
    CuePens.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edward Cypher

Nice job!!! I want to learn how to do the pool cue pen that a guy does up in Colorado Springs. He is supposed to be making/producing a dvd on it. He uses a slimline as the kit. Hopefully it will be available soon.

jttheclockman

Very nice. These are on my to do list. Not sure if you have or not shared how you make your points on these. Would you consider sharing and I understand if you do not want to. Thanks for showing.

Willee

Very nice. These are on my to do list. Not sure if you have or not shared how you make your points on these. Would you consider sharing and I understand if you do not want to. Thanks for showing.

Of course I will share ... that is the way I learned.
It takes a lathe or some way to index the blank to the 4 positions needed.
A router using a 90 deg bit cuts the pockets at a taper ... in other words as the router travels from right to left it also travels into the wood.
Depth and angle is critical to the pen blank you are cutting.

I am cutting some blanks monday and can post some photos then.

After you got the pockets cut then you need to make the veneers and wood point to fill them.
All in all it is a time consuming project and $100 is not unreasonable for the amount of work that goes into making this pen.

Just scale everything up and you have a forearm blank for a pool cue.

Willee

jttheclockman

A router using a 90 deg bit cuts the pockets at a taper ... in other words as the router travels from right to left it also travels into the wood.

After you got the pockets cut then you need to make the veneers and wood point to fill them.
All in all it is a time consuming project and $100 is not unreasonable for the amount of work that goes into making this pen.

Willee

Thanks Willee I would like to see the photos or video. You did a fine job with these and yes $100 is not out of the question at all.

CoastalRyan

Very nice! Been making any cues since our last get together?
Got two on my end that we've been working on.

Willee

Thanks Willee I would like to see the photos or video. You did a fine job with these and yes $100 is not out of the question at all.
I'll bring my camera over on monday and get some shots. Its a really fun process, time consuming and a bit tedious but the end results are really nice.

Willee

Cue Pen Blank Cutting

Here are some photos of the blanks and how the router mounted on the lathe cuts them.
The lathe has an index collar that will position the blank at the proper deg rotation for each point.

I know not everyone has this equipment to use and if you still want to try your hand at building one of these pens the cut blanks as shown in the photo will be available in the near future. When I make another one I will post some photos about fitting the veneers and finial point into the "V" cuts.

The pockets could also be filled in with Inlace or some other similar material to get floating points as well as traditional pool cue type points.

Willee

Attachments

• CPblanks.JPG
    CPblanks.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 191
  • CPcutting.JPG
    CPcutting.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

jttheclockman

I will have to give something like this a try. But I will be using ordinary wood lathe and mini router. Just have to figure out the angles. It is on my to do list. As I said any photos you can supply will be a help. Maybe able to make something out of them. Could get some ideas. Thanks again.

gbpens

The router idea is similar to Skiprat's. Willee is using veneer instead of a solid piece to add color and detail to the pattern. Excellent innovation! Makes a stunning pen. If you are willing to settle for only two patterns, one on each side of the pen, it could be done with building a lamination with no need for a router. The problem would come in centering the drill hole.

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Interesting. I would have thought the router would be oriented differently to cut with a v bit. What bit is used here?

Thanks.

Cmiles1985

Interesting. I would have thought the router would be oriented differently to cut with a v bit. What bit is used here?

Thanks.

I believe that is a V bit, but the cross slide is connected to the taper attachment (Cue lathe).

I got to see Willee's setup a few weeks ago, and it is very neat! Maybe next time around I can see a live demo on these blanks :)

Top Bottom