Cubans??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jharvey1309

jharvey1309

So here was my first attempt at embedding an object in PR. I have a lot of work to do but though I would show the group anyhow.

I need to find a way to stop the PR from soaking into the cigar label and making it look wet. I think next time once I get the bands glued on I will run a think layer of CA over the whole label and painted tube to seal it so that the PR won't be able to soak in to the label.

Thanks for looking
Jonathan

Attachments

• _DSC1627.JPG
    _DSC1627.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 420
  • _DSC1628.JPG
    _DSC1628.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 259
  • _DSC1639.JPG
    _DSC1639.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Nice man, that band goes great with the kit.

I did one similar a while back. Think it was mesquite. The wood did a decent job replicating a tobacco leaf I think:

mac1.jpg

Very impressive pen, Jonathan! The picture doesn't indicate any soaking of the label, at least on my screen, but I'm sure it may appear different in the hands, rather than on the monitor. Good job!

bitshird

That's a great pen, like others have said I cant tell from the picture the label looks wet, and you did it on one of my favorite kits, it just looks like a very high class piece of work.

PTJeff

Love the color match to the label.
Is it paint or powder coating?
Can you expand on what you think the problem with the label is, soaking of the label? It doesn't look like it seperated or released from the tube.

Top Notch!

jharvey1309

Love the color match to the label.
Is it paint or powder coating?
Can you expand on what you think the problem with the label is, soaking of the label? It doesn't look like it seperated or released from the tube.

Top Notch!

The tubes are simply painted with brown acrylic paint. I guess you can't really see it in the pictures but around the edges of the bands it looks like the band is wet where the PR leached into the band. This was a learning experience, the next one will be much improved.

Jonathan

Skye

If you're going to cast it, you could paint a leaf on the tube, glue down a band, then cast it in clear. It should give the illusion that the whole blank looks to be shaped like the leaf.

jharvey1309

I have lots of whole Cuban cigar leaf intact. I'm waiting to get my pot setup so that I can try to cast leaf right onto the tube then I wont have to paint them at all.

I'm horrible at drawing so painting a leaf on is out of the question for me. :)

Jonathan

Fred

"I'm waiting to get my pot setup so that I can try to cast... " Jonathan

I had to read that one again as my mind went to pot, er, someplace else.

Neat 'cigar' band pen. I do believe you did a great job as this is your first attempt with the band. Be sure to tell us how you improved on the label problem you think you are having. :)

bruce119

I actually encountered this wetting of the label you speak of. I tried a couple of things and the thing I remember that worked best was a thread color preserver from my fishing rod building days. It is kid of like watered white glue. It sealed the paper so the resin didn't wet it. Another thing I experimented with and got good results I think I was using fabric. Was 3M Scotch guard. Something to try.

Looks good
Bruce

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Don't laugh too hard but I love PA (prince Albert) I'm a burley man :) How about you.

Jonathan

I'm in an aromatic phase right now, as that's the only good stuff I can find locally...I tend to buy a lot of Cav. Virginias from Winnipeg when I make the trek into the big city, though...I'm about due for a visit!

I'm actuallly a fan of Buttered Rum from Brigham as my favourite aromatic, and golden dice as my favourite store-bought virginia...

I'm hoping to get some Soliani X and CAO Dan Blue Note from the states as soon as I figure out the customs page on it...not sure how much we're allowed to bring in without getting taxed up the kazoo...never tried either of these, have you?

jharvey1309

I'm in an aromatic phase right now, as that's the only good stuff I can find locally...I tend to buy a lot of Cav. Virginias from Winnipeg when I make the trek into the big city, though...I'm about due for a visit!

I'm actuallly a fan of Buttered Rum from Brigham as my favourite aromatic, and golden dice as my favourite store-bought virginia...

I'm hoping to get some Soliani X and CAO Dan Blue Note from the states as soon as I figure out the customs page on it...not sure how much we're allowed to bring in without getting taxed up the kazoo...never tried either of these, have you?

I'm not a big fan of aromatics but I do like butternut burley which is an aromatic. Send me your address via PM and I'll send you a bunch of stuff to try.

Jonathan

Top Bottom