Cry with me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RAdams

RAdams

Banned
http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=9979

There it is. My second attempt at a closed end. The first one came out good, but nothing to brag about. With this one, on the other hand, I was ready to SING!

Homebrew "Golden Eclipse" blank. Closed end Classic American style kit. I applied the glue (medium CA) directly to the tube for fear of collecting a pool in my "spring pocket". Well, evidently, that didnt get enough glue on the surfaces and the tube spun out. The major blow out happened when i tried to get the tube out that was half way in and half way out. I guess a little super glue in the spring hole is better than this.

I JUST WANNA CRY. man this blank is so amazing. the pen was going to be amazing. I have the lid all ready to mount and turn. I even had it buffed out and everything, even the tippy tippy tip where the tailstock sits. It is so hard not to get discouraged when you spend 5 or 6 hours on prep work, making a mandrel and all, only for this to happen. Somebody just shoot me now and get it overwith.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

If it makes you feel any better...

I spent over 2 hours making a Jr. Gent out of Bois De Rose (nothing as cool as yours but..). Went to assemble it. Found a crack probably from assembly, then found a dent (no idea how that happened), then when I removed the barrel from the bushings the CA broke off and ruined that one. I assembled it, then took it all apart and scraped the wood.

Anyway, it wasn't my day either. :frown:

its_virgil

This is exactly the reason I consider CA to NOT be the best choice for gluing tubes. I use two part epoxy (5 minute) which gives more than enough time to adequately move the glue around and get good gliue coverage.After gluing the pen can be turned in 10 minutes or so. Never had a problem with gluing them this way.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=9979
I applied the glue (medium CA) directly to the tube for fear of collecting a pool in my "spring pocket". The major blow out happened when i tried to get the tube out that was half way in and half way out.

RAdams

Banned
I tried the two part epoxy a few weeks ago and really liked it. In fact, i blew right through the little $1 HF two tube card i had. I am planning a trip to HF friday for a couple of things, so you better believe i will be getting SEVERAL cards, if i can't find a bigger container.

OKLAHOMAN

Ron, stop wasting money at H/F for your epoxy one of our members Manny IAP name Monty has the best prices and service here is a link:Mannie - Pearland, TX
www.woodenwonderstx.com
I tried the two part epoxy a few weeks ago and really liked it. In fact, i blew right through the little $1 HF two tube card i had. I am planning a trip to HF friday for a couple of things, so you better believe i will be getting SEVERAL cards, if i can't find a bigger container.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I know the feeling. Put the blank aside and wait a few days and then look at it again. This is a great opportunity to do some segmenting experiments. Don't give up because of a minor blow out.

cnirenberg

Ron,
If it helps, I kept my blowouts, blowups and @#$#-ups just to remind me of what not to do. The beauty here is learning from experience, that is the greatest teacher. I agree with Don on the use of 2 part epoxy and with Roy on staying clear of Horror Freight. That was a cool looking blank too.

RAdams

Banned
I have a natural edge bowl screwed to the wall in my shop. The bowl has no bottom. It is well in view of where i stand when i turn to remind me that sometimes the material decides what is going on, and not me.

The blank is pretty nice. I think on my next pour, i am going to go with a much more lopsided coloring.

usfwood

Greetings,
I haven't posted very often, so if my question is out of place, please just ignore it.

It is frustrating when something like this happens. Would it be appropriate to possibly to cut the section above the breakout. Re-glue a tube with epoxy. then add a piece of material drilled to the tube size. For this color, a nice black "grip" section.

It is a nice looking piece and if there was a way to save it, I would try.

Regards to all.
Darin

RAdams

Banned
As a matter fact...

When i "assembled it" (held the parts in it and looked at it.), I noticed that with the black collar that is between the fitting and the nib, it was too long. I think there is enough material to redrill the hole, and still make a nice closed end. If not, the hole will go all the way through, and i can true it up and make a regular pen out of it.

I have also been "challenged" to tighten up my drilling accuracy, and do away with the spring. Should be a good exercise for me, as long as i take it slow.

Top Bottom