Crushed shell fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

Crushed shell fountain pen. Destined for a desktop to be housed in its box so no clip will go on this one.

Like, dislike? Comments and/or critiques welcome.

2008210172130_crushed%20shell%20closed.jpg

2008210172154_crushed%20shell%20open.jpg

GaryMGg

I like the fact that most folks said 'don't do it, can't be done, or something similar and you did it anyway. :D [8D][8D]
That's a great looking pen.

Texatdurango

Andrew and Smitty, the pen weighs .7 oz with the converter inside, its a VERY lightweight pen! I used a three position "multi-start" tap and die set.

Gary, You are correct, one can do anything if they have the right tools.

Stevej72

Wow, that is one awesome pen! I really like that crushed shell. I just sold the slimeline I had made with it. Will have to order another blank and make a little higher end pen with it. My skill level and tooling isn't ready for one like yours though. Great Job!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nice job, George.

But I was expecting shells crushed and encased in PR.

I guess you did enough other things on this one, I'll give you a pass on the real shells until you go back to using brass tubes!!!

Great work!!

jtate

Ditto!!!!!!

Beautiful. The threading is the really wonderful part of it but I'd like to kow frm whence cometh that blank!

Oh, and as a vintage pen collector - I'd suggest that you might want to consider finding a way to put a metal ring around the exterior of the cap, a wee bit up from the lip. The metal ring keep the cap from splitting if it's tightened too much.

jskeen

Two quick questions. What did the multistart tap and die set you back, and where did you get the box? when the lid opens, does it lift the pen up? OK, that's 3 but who's counting?..... wait that's four.....ARGH :)

Mather323

George, I agree with everyone complements it is an awesome pen. The only thing that I dislike (your word not mine) is it seems a little plain, like it needs a clip or a band a something. I know what you were trying to do and I know I could not do it any better but that was the only thing I could think of!:D

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
George - as I said privately, this is a beautiful pen.

Hope I'm not stealing this thread, but for those who asked about the triple start taps and dies, I am partially to blame. I sent off a coupler from the El Grande to a company in Poland who has a sales office in Florida (E-taps.com). They came back with a price of over $500 for a set. At ten sets, the price came to about $215 each including all shipping costs to the individuals. I was very reluctant to offer a group buy at this price since they were still very pricey and I wasn't sure if they would even work. I found a few willing early tryers with no promises. George was the first to post and he made us all smile. If someone wants to do a group buy on more, I feel very comfortable with the company and they appear to be quality tools. The ground work is done.

jtate

Anyone in Middle Tennessee want to share custody of a set of the tap and die? I can't afford a set all by myself but a Middle Tennessee Bubbasville group might share a set. I'd go in for that! Any takers?

Firefyter-emt

Ok... Next step, to buy a junk Esterbrook to use the ink sac "prepped" section (press fit) and that awesome "renew point" design, well.. just because!
Now that you have the section, take the J-bar and lever filler and make a hole! I am really thinking about this one, it would be pretty easy once the parts were there.

Texatdurango

Bruce, Thanks for jumping in with the details on the tap and die set, I really didn't want to get into the details since it was your efforts and your buy.

Jskeen, I got the box at Rockler for under $5. What I like about it is that it will hold a nice size pen like the Jr Statesman and some of the custom pens which I have planned and it does raise the pen as the lid is opened.

All, Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I realize the pen may seem plain to many, an Emperor it aint! But in my eyes it is exactly what I hoped of doing and that is to make a pen without using any kit parts whatsoever and the threading was ahuge obstacle to overcome.

I do plan on adding some embelleshments now and then to some pens but nothing like the large metal parts we are used to with the kit pens. I am looking into making some clips from sterling silver sheets so if anyone has experience with working with these sheets PLEASE PM me, I would love to talk with you.

pipeyeti

I take it your tap set came from the same source. How about a review of the quality of the tool? well made? easy to use? What size drilling was required for the tap? Would you buy it again? Great looking pen!

thefunkyP

What kit is that nib from?
I would love to see a writeup on how this certain pen is made.
This is one of the best kitless pens I've seen.
Simple
Elegant
Amazing
Thanks for sharing

follow3

I think that is an AWESOME pen.

Incredible craftmanship!

If you are not a member of the PMG, you should submit that as your entry pen.

Steve

Top Bottom