The Crucifixion Scene

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodenRanger

WoodenRanger

This pen portrays a view of the scene where Jesus was crucified and where in the gospels it talks about when darkness came over the land in the middle of the day as He was dying.
The pen is birdseye maple, crosses-dogwood, hillside-lignum vitae, sky-blue dyed maple saw dust/epoxy, ca finish, statesman
Thanks for looking!

200851435133_Full%20Shot.jpg

200851435251_Closeup.jpg

. Thanks for looking

wickford

Wow, that is amazing!!! Looks like a LOT of work into that one.

Fantastic job!! Wish I had the time and "know how" to do something like that one!!

WoodenRanger

Thanks for your encouraging comments! Frank, as to how I made the pen in general here are the steps.
1. Make a jig to hollow out the pen blank oval. With the jig you can hollow your pen blank out on the router table. The hardest part about it is lining up everthing so the hole is cut out so everthing lines up straight on the pen.
2. I worked on the crosses next. I have some sanding disks that I put on my lathe and built a table that fits on the lathe. I then built a jig to sand down the cross pieces so they are all the same size. After this I used a square block of wood with wax paper on it to glue the pieces of cross together and cutting them with a hack saw blade.
3. Cut the hillside out on the band saw and sanded it.
4. Glued the hillside and crosses in the hollowed out oval of the pen blank.
4. Took some dyed blue wood and sanded it collecting the sawdust and mixed it in with epoxy and filled in the remaining space in the oval.
5. Made many carful measurements and checks before I drilled the pen blank and Prayed!!
That describes the major steps of construction in this pen, I know its not in great detail but maybe this gives some insight.

Grizz

Banned
Totally awesome! Now how did you do that? I know several who would love that type of pen look/scene.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by WoodenRanger

Thanks for your encouraging comments! Frank, as to how I made the pen in general here are the steps.
1. Make a jig to hollow out the pen blank oval. With the jig you can hollow your pen blank out on the router table. The hardest part about it is lining up everthing so the hole is cut out so everthing lines up straight on the pen.
2. I worked on the crosses next. I have some sanding disks that I put on my lathe and built a table that fits on the lathe. I then built a jig to sand down the cross pieces so they are all the same size. After this I used a square block of wood with wax paper on it to glue the pieces of cross together and cutting them with a hack saw blade.
3. Cut the hillside out on the band saw and sanded it.
4. Glued the hillside and crosses in the hollowed out oval of the pen blank.
4. Took some dyed blue wood and sanded it collecting the sawdust and mixed it in with epoxy and filled in the remaining space in the oval.
5. Made many carful measurements and checks before I drilled the pen blank and Prayed!!
That describes the major steps of construction in this pen, I know its not in great detail but maybe this gives some insight.

Thanks. Does not sound easy. I'll push further. How about a photo tutorial? [:p]

bfrikken

Thanks for sharing this. This pen is a great example of a fine piece of artwork.

darrylm

that's one impressive pen!
not much more I can say that hasn't been said already...

can't wait to see your next one though!

Top Bottom