A "crossroad" and a Chicken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bpgoldo

bpgoldo

So I had a new pen kit, the Pen State "Southwestern" style. The kit is a little pricey. The pen is kinda big. It's kinda heavy. A very strong style statement. What to do with it? My first thought was to turn my first one with a simple, single material, not go out "whole enchilada". Should I risk folks saying they don't like it, feeling that it was too much. Too southwestern. Too styled out. Too cultural. After some thought, I remembered something that Bob Lutz, former CEO of Chrysler said many years ago. "I don't want to make cars that most folks would find acceptable, I want to build cars that a few people Just Gotta Have. Thus was born the Dodge Viper. For me as an artist and craftsman, that feeling and commitment at the point of creation, is pure truth. So guys, when it comes to big design, over the top lay-out, taking a chance that I might go too far, I usually let myself be "Viper" snake bit, and go for it. Hope you enjoy seeing my risk. I invite you all, especially the "newbies" to join in the fun! Go big. Experiment. Take that chance. The reward in this case was, when it got off the lathe and assembled, I really liked it....and it sold in a heartbeat. Thanks in advance to those of you that respond, for sharing your thoughts. I look forward to hearing from y'all in every post and thread. Your thoughts are truly valued.

Attachments

• POSTED-SOUTHWEST-CROSSROADS 3.jpg
    POSTED-SOUTHWEST-CROSSROADS 3.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

It sold, eh? . Congratulations ... some nice work in that pen !!!! . What about the chicken ????

Mr Vic

I've been steering clear of the newer gaudier pen kits. I feel they tend to over power the blank and it becomes about the kit. Well, I must say your blank has definitely upstaged the kit and taken back center stage. Well done. I really like it..

If it wasn't so pretty, I'm afraid I'd have to kick that chicken in the butt all the way across that crossroad. But, it's too pretty to do that.:biggrin:

Beautiful pen. Nothing more to be said.

bpgoldo

Vic, I couldn't agree with you more. A lot of the new kits out there are too much for even a truly fine piece of burled wood or acrylic. If the kit design shouts, you'd better "speak up just as loud" when selecting or assembling the blank. Otherwise it just looks "phoney". After all the work to get the pen off the lathe, the piece isn't much more than a novelty. Most of my disappointments tend to be when I had a hunch, but held back. Not been bold enough.....now that's not all the time. I've had my bozo pens that no one will ever see, but enough times that I am coming to trust those instincts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom