Crosscut spalted wormy fig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from patmurris

patmurris

Although we have plenty of fig around here, i never bothered to try turn any as it looks rather bland and there are so many other more interesting timbers to gouge into. However, while organizing an old pile of fire wood the other day, i came across a few very damaged small logs with some interesting gray spalting on the end grain...

I first turned a small candle holder:

Figuier%20Echauffe%2001_800.jpg

Figuier%20Echauffe%2003_800.jpg

Then another one... and as i further cut into that log, i discovered some orange/gold spots... Cross cut some short pen blanks...

Figuier%20Echauffe%2005_800.jpg

Tournage%20Stylos%20147_800.jpg

Tournage%20Stylos%20148_800.jpg

This is certainly one of the most beautiful local spalted timber i came across with the spalted cork oak i've shown some time ago. :cool:

It's amazing how a rather ordinary timber can turn into such beauty if you let it rot a bit! :biggrin:

Last edited:

SDB777

Rescue'd firewood often has a LOT of value. As it sits in the open from one year to the next(sometimes, unless your in a heavy firewood burning area), and just spalts like noone's business!
Some of my best finds are from the firewood stack(until I started dragging logs out of the woods)!

Those are some really nice turnings!

Scott (candleholder is very cool) B

reddwil

Great looking wood. I got some fig of a tree we had to cut down for a pipeline project. It was paper white and soft as butter. After it dried out it was hard as a rock and t urned black with mold. From the looks of yours im guessing it was a different species.

Top Bottom