IMG_3464.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 147
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Great wood and finish Stephen!! Just slabbed out some olive yesterday...can't wait! Like the way you muted the CA so it's not so plastic looking.

clieb91

Nice! Like the look of the crosscut.
Been playing with smaller pieces of Olive Wood may have to get me a larger chunk to cut up.

CtL

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Beautiful pen!
I love olive wood, but haven't tried any cross-cut yet. Now I'll have to try to find some or get a big enough piece so I can cut it myself.

robutacion

Beautiful pen!
I love olive wood, but haven't tried any cross-cut yet. Now I'll have to try to find some or get a big enough piece so I can cut it myself.

Yes, Olive wood in cross cut can be very pretty, a little fiddly sometimes but very doable...!

I once, made lots of diagonal and square Olive wood pen blanks, there are still a few about but, I haven't done much with them, the damn things tend to bend pretty bad...!

So that you can have an easier job when trying to find a piece of Olive wood that have enough dimensions to make either the diagonal or cross cut pen blanks, for the typical 45° for diagonal, you need a board that is 90mm wide, while the cross cut, will require a board of width of a full pen blank length, which is normally 5" or 5"1/4.

The problem sometimes is to find a piece that has the best part of the grain in the right place, without wasting half of the wood, this is normally the case and reason why, these angled blanks, if any good, cost always a little more than the straight cut/with the grain pen blanks...!:wink::biggrin:

I hope this helps...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom