Crosscut cocobolo with some sapwood on cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dmott

dmott

chrome hybrid cigar pen with crosscut cocobolo and some sapwood.

EDIT: Photos removed by request of the original poster due to private information being in the background of the photos. Hopefully he'll repost!

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmott

yeah i make it thick and sand a lot to ensure I get all the scratches off, time consuming and a lot of CA glue.

one of the things I like most about the pen is the sapwood is "waving" (closest word I can think of). It curves up and down and the line on each side follows the other, hard to explain I guess. Its hard to capture without taking 6 or so pictures like I saw somebody do with their scalloped cap.

BradG

Unique, I like it...I like it a lot!

Speaking of scallops, hey tim :wink:

I am yet to perfect my CA finish.. never experimented enough with it to get a finish i was happy with. At one point i was close but then i learned that the plastic polish i was using was actually buffing all the CA off! .... Do you sand between coats or just keep layering it on?

dmott

I only sand between coats if I put on a REALLY sloppy layer.

I bought some $20 digital calipers from Harbor Freight, and they work well so far. I turn .035" below the bushings, then build the glue .02" back above the bushings (total of .055" of glue).

Then I bring the tools to it again until it is only .01" or a LITTLE bit more above the bushings, this gets off anything uneven which shortens sanding time a lot for me. Then I sand starting at 400, then 500, then 600(probably optional), then 0000 stel wool (optional), then novus #3, then novus #2, then plastx. I also have some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and this can take the place of Novus #3 and #2; its actually pretty crazy how fast it takes out 500 grit sandpaper scratches while still bringing it up to pretty much the same shine as Plastx.

BradG

Many thanks for the info il have a play with it next time i have some wood blanks in my possesion ;) most of the time im working with metal

Robert111

Beautiful, beautiful! But oh man! It kills me when I think of how many times I tried to turn crosscut cocobolo. I have some absolutely stunning coco too short to use except with a crosscut. It ALWAYS breaks on the mandrel when I get it thin. Any advice?

dmott

Beautiful, beautiful! But oh man! It kills me when I think of how many times I tried to turn crosscut cocobolo. I have some absolutely stunning coco too short to use except with a crosscut. It ALWAYS breaks on the mandrel when I get it thin. Any advice?

Not really. Just sharp tools I guess.

WIth a lot of woods I would say soak it with thin CA when it starts to get thin, but I dont know if that will help much with cocobolo since it is so oily and pretty dense.

thanks for the good comments.

Top Bottom