Crosscut cocobolo burl on Statemen Jr!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Here is some crosscut cocobolo with a burly section, finished with about 25 coats of medium CA. I used acetone to get rid of the really fine dust in the wood pores prior applying the finish. Took me some time but the finish is up to my taste, what you see in it is the reflection of my camera, no scratches there. :)

Comments welcomed and clicky the thumbnails.

Close-up of the burly section!

Argh! I am seeing myself in the pen clip!

I used the burly part on the cap section.

Charles

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

propencity

x-cutting that coco along with your finishing touch amplifies that pen to another level. As always your pics are awesome! Do you take the foreground pic (pen) on top of another picture (blurred backgound)? It gives it almost a 3-D effect.

CharlesH

x-cutting that coco along with your finishing touch amplifies that pen to another level. As always your pics are awesome! Do you take the foreground pic (pen) on top of another picture (blurred backgound)? It gives it almost a 3-D effect.

I select the pen and feather the selection then I inverse selection, remove saturation and gaussian blur! :)

C

EarlD

Beautiful!

So you hold the camera in one hand and the pen in the other? I'd get blur even outside if I tried that. lol

Earl

IPD_Mr

Charles I like that you always look for what I call true exhibition grade burls. You finish is amazing as always.

If we ever meet in person, beware, as I will have some acetone to rub on that fingernail of yours. :biggrin:

CharlesH

IPD_Mr said:
Charles I like that you always look for what I call true exhibition grade burls. You finish is amazing as always.

If we ever meet in person, beware, as I will have some acetone to rub on that fingernail of yours. :biggrin:

I turn because I like burls. Pens are just an excuse in loving wood so much. :p

You know, I buy a lot of wood and I keep the best in a box, the rest goes in another, once in a while I sell all of the blanks that are not in my worthy box to someone lucky. He get a deal! Oh and I turn all my blanks round, because I am a picky bastard and it saves space! :p

I have about 10 blanks of coco burl from many sources and this one is not really spectacular frankly.

I am obsessed with burls and yes my fingernail is CA glue covered! How did you guess!?

C

Sent from my iTouch.

CharlesH

patmurris said:
Outstanding finish indeed!

Aren't you worried such a thick finish may crack with temperature changes - someone warned me not to build up too thick?

Not worried at all. It is not thick, the coats are really thin. ;)

C

Sent from my iTouch.

Top Bottom