Cross Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

Status
Not open for further replies.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Lyle Walden created two of these custom blanks for me before Christmas. I was planning on turning then early this month but couldn't get to it because my mom passed away.

Last night I woke up thinking it would make a perfect thank you gift for Father Dave who is presiding over my mother's Memorial Mass tomorrow.

22K Jr Statesman dressed in certificated Bethlehem Olive Wood with a BloodWood cross in a Holy oval representing the sacrament.

_MG_0080.jpg

200811855817__MG_0075.jpg

200811855849__MG_0076.jpg

200811855916__MG_0077.jpg

_MG_0071.jpg

Lyle makes some of the most gorgeous blanks!!

Thanks!!
GK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Beautiful pen, and great pictures. Sorry to hear about your mom. I think the good father will love this gift.

I really like the little prop better than my little wooden turnings. heh...I may have to steal, er, borrow that design, or something similar. Are you shooting with your camera set to incandescent or florescent?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I used a grey card and set custom white balance. But the bulbs I have are "daylight" so shooting it in "sunshine" mode would probably result in equally good photos.

GK

Stevej72

Greg, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. You are right, I think that will make a great gift and I'm sure the Father will love it. Beautiful work on both pen and photography.

lwalden

Greg- my sincere condolences on your loss, especially one so close to your heart. I know you had other plans for the two blanks when we discussed these back in December, but situations change and I hope you felt some comfort building one of those as somewhat of a tribute to your mother. I'll be getting you out a replacement for the Jr sized blank- our way of saying our thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care-

Ligget

Greg I never mentioned in my other post but I too am very sorry for your loss, my mum died approx 3 years ago so I know what you are feeling.

Time is a great healer Greg, keep your chin up!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks one and all for all the kind thoughts and prayers!

Lyle, WOW, thank you. It was very cathartic to come home last night and just go into the shop and make that pen. I was afraid that the inlays would snag and I'd ruin it but they never did using both skew and gouge and the end results were what ou see. I would happily buy more of these blanks.

GK

Greg, I'm very sorry for your loss as well. The pen, as always, is beautiful, and will serve as a very fitting memorial. I'm sure that Father Dave will be proud of it, knowing that it is a gift from the heart.

IPD_Mrs

Greg,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your mother.
Your pen is one of the most outstanding I have seen! You can be proud of your work and I know the Father will be honored by your gift to him both in entrusting your Mom's memorial to him and in your craftsmanship.

Linda

Greg, our condolences on the passing of your mom. The pen looks flawless and I'm sure Father Dave will treasure it. I've made a few BOW pens with cross clips for some of the Fathers in our church which they loved.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks again, everyone, for the kind words and thoughts. It is a great help having people like you here to lend your support.

Father Dave did indeed love his new pen. He said "I'll put it right where it belongs, here next to my heart" as he slid it into his suit pocket. [:D]

I need to make sure that I give credit where it is due; while I can take credit for the design of the blank I can't take credit for its creation. The craftsman who made it is Lyle Walden and you can order his blanks here:
http://www.woodpenblanks.com/Cross Pen Blanks.htm

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom