Cross my fingers (for luck)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, having posted the work in progress, I kept my fingers crossed as I finished (Ever try turning with your fingers crossed?)

Actually, the cross inlay was perfect. There was no "bump" when you hit the seam, and the tiny bloodwood pieces were reassuring as they flew into the dust collector. In short, ANYONE can turn this, if you can turn regular wood pens.

2006116164740_Crossclosefin.jpg

200611616484_Crossfin.jpg

To those who prefer CA finish, that might have been a better option, but I like wood to feel like wood - I offer (and sell) tons of plastic, so my preference is a nice shine, but not tooooo perfect.

Last coat is TSW, just to make it look and smell great.

I'll let Eagle speak for himself, but the cross looks superb to me. Skye's comment about it being off-center has started Eagle developing a solution. Good luck finding another grain pattern that will make it adaptable!!!

Comments welcome, most of which I will let Eagle answer, since I just "turned" the pen. Eagle HAND-MADE the pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBone

Ed, both you and Eagle did a great job on the pen. Looks great. I'd have given anything to pop a baloon behind you while you were turning it [:D]

dbriski

Just as a suggestion, I think if the inlay was put in perfectly perpendicular to the plane of the grain it would center it. How you figure out how to put it perfectly perpendicular, I'll leave that for eagle to figure out ;)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by TBone
<br />Ed, both you and Eagle did a great job on the pen. Looks great. I'd have given anything to pop a baloon behind you while you were turning it [:D]

Heard a good joke this weekend that pertains to this:

Crewman comes to the captain and says, "Enemy vessel approaching, sir!" Captain says, "Prepare for battle and bring me my red shirt!!"

All day the battle goes on, captain in his red shirt. Finally, at night the battle subsides and someone asks him why the red shirt.
Captain responds, "If I get shot in the battle, my crew will not know I am bleeding, and we will fight on!!!"

So, the next morning as the sun starts rising, the "watch" announces, "FIVE enemy ships approaching, sir!! ARMED to the hilt!!"

The captain, surveying the situation, says simply, "Bring me my brown pants, crewman!"

THAT, in a nutshell, is what I would have needed.[:D][:D][:D]

Skye

Looks great! The red in the case sets off the cross.

Good to see you still turn wood from time to time [;)]

kent4Him

I don't know Ed. I thought you were strictly an acrylic man. The last few that I've see from you are wood. Trying to squeaze me out of my market?[:D] Nice job. I look forward to meeting up with you in a few weeks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Fear not, Chris.

Just counted last night, I have 75 perfect fit 115 cigar pens, 18 of which are wood.

I still plan on showing plastic, plastic and a little more plastic!!!

Tomorrow will post a couple examples - just wanted to help out Eagle while I had the time (shows start Wednesday!!)[:)][:)][:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by dbriski
<br />Just as a suggestion, I think if the inlay was put in perfectly perpendicular to the plane of the grain it would center it. How you figure out how to put it perfectly perpendicular, I'll leave that for eagle to figure out ;)
You did a great job Ed, it was I that fell short.
(I wish I could get a "do over" on that one.)[:(]

Ed sent me a beautiful piece of Rosewood quite some time ago.(I keep gifts like this in a drawer in the house)I could not think of an appropriate glue up to use it in.I certainly didn't have the kits to do it justice, in the drawer it sat.
Ed helps me when I have questions about certain designs along with others I converse with over the phone.(The guilty will remain nameless but you know who you are,I even get help from Switzerland[:D])
Ed got another blank he designed to color scheme on but I wanted to surprise him.I got the rose wood and started to cut it into blanks and pick the nicest one I could find to put this inlay into.
Here's what I found

08_Ed%20brown%20Bloodwood%20rosewood%20inlay%20005.jpg
<br />

This was 90* to it

34_Ed%20brown%20Bloodwood%20rosewood%20inlay%20006.jpg
<br />
I couldn't help but put it aside until I could figure out how to reorient the blank 45* so I could get a flat side to put the inlay into right where I wanted it.
The blank was right at the size that cutting it would make it too small to use in a kit of any size,I don't mind elevating the lowly slim line but not with this piece of wood.
After a couple of days I had a solution worked out but it still "missed the bulls eye".
The problem with the inlay in a figured piece of wood is if you don't get it in the exact right spot there will always be someone who asks why it wasn't put in on center.
There always a little bit of skill involved in this and a LOT of luck.
Thanks for your efforts ED!
(When do we get to see the maple one?)

mick

I think it looks`fantastic! Centered or not it's perfect. Nature's full of surprises, that's what keeps me turning!!!

Snazzypens

Nice job the pairs of you. As for being off centred I could that happen with drilling a bit off centre?? NO not having a go at you. I have one coming so I been wondering this? Would that throw it off centre? or could you move the clip around further to balance it up a bit?

Anyway I don't care I think it a gorgeous pen.[:D] You both did good
Toni

Originally posted by dbriski
<br />Just as a suggestion, I think if the inlay was put in perfectly perpendicular to the plane of the grain it would center it. How you figure out how to put it perfectly perpendicular, I'll leave that for eagle to figure out ;)

An easy way to do this would be using a straight grain, quarter sawn blank. The inlay would be placed on the flat grain face. If the blank is rift cut, it's more difficult, you'll have to turn the blank round before setting the inlay.

Ed, your pen reminds me of a medieval knight from the round table.

emackrell

Yowza. What a gorgeous pen. Hope I can get mine to look that great!

Eagle, how thick is the cross inlay before you inlay it? I'm trying to work out how you managed to get it into the "corner" of the blank ....

cheers Eileen

[8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by emackrell
<br />Yowza. What a gorgeous pen. Hope I can get mine to look that great!

Eagle, how thick is the cross inlay before you inlay it? I'm trying to work out how you managed to get it into the "corner" of the blank ....

cheers Eileen

[8D]
Eileen et al.
Once it had been "Eagleyezed" anything is possible.
In all sincerity, one of the first things I turned was a "special tool" that I use on just about everything I make.
It wasn't my idea and from what I understand it has been used by "magicians of certain crafts" for centuries.
It literally works magic on just about everything I Do.
Here is a good depiction of it.
http://cs.wellesley.edu/~rds/rds00/projects/sschroed/WandWebPage/Images/Wand.jpg
[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom