Cross Cut Zebra Wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from USAFVET98

USAFVET98

The picture isnt great, but I worked hard on this one.
Comments are appreciated as always.

Attachments

• xcutzebra 002.jpg
    xcutzebra 002.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 294
  • xcutzebra 003.jpg
    xcutzebra 003.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 394
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

Very cool. Did you cross cut the blanks? I am not sure I have ever seen a piece big enough to cross cut.

Yes, I cross cut them. I have a few wide pieces laying around. I was very hard to turn though. I broke 2 halfs before actually getting it. It was harder than the cross cut red palm.

chriselle

Now you tell me! LOL I really didnt think it was going to be that hard. I do like a challenge though.

Great looking pen and congradulations on just getting it done...lol.

I always try to keep at least one cross-cut zebra on display because they sell for good bucks.... but yes they do take a bit-o-care to get decent results. Here's a link to the one currently in the showcase.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/candhh/zebrawood.jpg

USAFVET98

Great looking pen and congradulations on just getting it done...lol.

I always try to keep at least one cross-cut zebra on display because they sell for good bucks.... but yes they do take a bit-o-care to get decent results. Here's a link to the one currently in the showcase.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/candhh/zebrawood.jpg

Beautiful pen, great finish too. If you dont mind me asking, what do you charge for them?

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here's one a friend of mine turned. He says the secret is to drench it in CA when you get close to finish size.

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• 942_sedona-titanium-gold_zebrawood-endgrain (Medium).jpg
    942_sedona-titanium-gold_zebrawood-endgrain (Medium).jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 457

stolicky

Good job. I tried it once. Had to glue it back together three times after chunks flew off of it. Finally gave up after it was pretty much beyond repair.

It is one tough and smelly wood!

fernhills

I have one Cross Cut Zebra wood blank. It is about 1" sq. x 6, was waiting for the right kit. I do have a Gentleman in FP and RB. Do you think it would look good in those kits?.
Yours looks fantastic, i think i`ll try it.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Between 28,000 and 33,800 yen.....and they move quite regularly. If one does sit for more than a month I'll drop the price...a wee bit..:wink: My wife sets the prices. I'm just Quasimodo down in my dungeon.
Thats about $320 US roughly, nice to get that kind of money.

JohnU

Nice job. Ive turned a few but have a larger pile waiting than completed. Like others say, it smells and its hard. I also like paduak crosscut with color lines in it. They get transparent in light. Thanks for sharing.

USAFVET98

Nice job. Ive turned a few but have a larger pile waiting than completed. Like others say, it smells and its hard. I also like paduak crosscut with color lines in it. They get transparent in light. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the info on the padauk. I will try that next..

bitshird

That is a beautiful pen, I have found two distinct types of Zebra wood, one has fairly loose fibers, while the other has very tight fibers and is nice and hard, they both turn well and I've done several bias cut on the hard and tight grained with no problems, I cut my bias cut blanks out of a 10 inch wide board, I'm putting some in a box of blanks I'm donating to the trivia questions. Cav did one that was 90 degree cross cut, those are a wee bit difficult, lots of places to blow apart, even cut a 45 or 30 you have to keep your tools sharp.

Top Bottom