Cross cut yellowheart, my new favorite.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MrBubblehead

MrBubblehead

I just finished up a pen that was a challenge for a buddy of mine. I used a piece of cross cut yellowheart and a funline gun metal kit. It was a challenge to turn as I am using very cheap chisels and could almost watch them get shorter as the wood fought back. No issues with chipping or catching.

Attachments

• IMG_20170404_224512.jpg
    IMG_20170404_224512.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_20170403_203740.jpg
    IMG_20170403_203740.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 230
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Lovely !!! .. Is there some chattoyance ? ... it would seem so

At what angle to the grain is the blank cut ?

Last edited:

Skie_M

Looks like a squared 90 degree cross cut ... that turned out beautifully! :)

I'll have to get me some yellowheart to play with, sometime ... but for now I'm happy with my curly eucalyptus ... :)

jttheclockman

Pen looks very good.
Tough to tell from your photos
To me this is not yellow heart. I think Pau Amarello is more pure yellowheart. It is true yellow in both sap wood and heart wood. There are many spieces of woods and people call woods something the same example Fustic, and osage orange are called yellow heart too. then you get woods harvested from different parts of the world and they are called the same but look totally different. That is why it is so hard to declare woods when people ask to identify woods.

Nothing wrong with your pen and from the photos is could be a species of yellow heart but my point is if those that want to try this wood get the real deal and you will be amazed at the brilliant color that stays yellow and only gets deeper in color as it ages.

Hearne Hardwoods sells yellowheart lumber. We carry yellowheart wood, yellow heart wood, euxylophora paraensis, pau amarello hardwoods, satinwood solids, satin wood, satinwood hardwood, yellowheart timbers, south american satinwood lumber, yellow woo

Last edited:

MrBubblehead

This is a piece of Pau amarello. I was amazed at how different it looks from another piece cut with the grain.

Attachments

• IMG_20170405_151442.jpg
    IMG_20170405_151442.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 144
Top Bottom