Cross-cut red oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

311748_210217712371635_100001502242963_555423_8174769_n.jpg

Dad was working on a pen stand made from a 4x4 of red oak. The first one failed, so I grabbed what was left and cut it into blanks. This time I used a stock centerband! I like how it turned out, but I was expecting a bit more slant on the grain. I also have to admit, I'm a lot better at turning in my own shop now, I've gotten REALLY used to my own tools and setup.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

Oh, no! Not a commercial center-band! What has this world come to?:eek::eek:

That's a winner Allen. Sometimes you just have to grin and bare it and use all the parts in the kit.

PenPal

Show me a newly engaged woman who avoided wearing a centre band?

Centre bands are for me integral parts of a pen, well I too enjoy seeing bandless pens that others make. I enjoyed riding my Motorbike without a muffler, why not be different, however we ordinary folks have become accustomed to the centre band as identifying, soothing the senses.

When I make for me everything is fair game when for others I tend to conform, kind of courtesy like dipping ones hat, holding the door open for folks etc.

To press any predudices brings to mind this last week our annual Exhibition judge pronounced first prize for a small red topped flat square box the lid was a bright red timber.
He went home that night and guess what he discovered it was a rare and endangered species so at the prize giving used that in discussing the box to launch into a tirade about how we desecrate the planet.

Thankyou for showing your Red Oak cross grain pen turned as you felt inclined.

Kind regards Peter.

t001xa22

I think your blank of red oak is very outstanding, and I truly think your use of the stock center band was a good touch on it. Overall, great job.

Drstrangefart

Thanks! Anyone that's seen more than one recent pen I've done knows I don't use stock centerbands very often. I just can't find them in the dimensions I want. With this one it was the only way to go. And I do like these centerbands, and my original attempt to make my own were due to not having Trimline kits in the basement.

bitshird

Allen I think the folks at Wood n Whimsies sell those centerbands, you can buy quite a few parts individually from them like clips, finials and other must need sometime things.

Top Bottom