Critiques Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from johnhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhart

I'm fairly new to pen turning and I'm really struggling for ideas on form. Here's three slimlines that I tried to put some shape in to and I was wondering if they are too busy or stupid looking or if I'm on the right track. Thanks a grunch!

Figured Beech - Ambrosia Maple - Cherry -- Finish is Beeswax
200571112639_BeechAmbrosiaAndCherrysm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

John: The pens look nice. I have sold a bunch of that shape. I call them "bulge" pens, and some people like them because they have a little more to hold on to, and they don't really want a big pen.

It is kind of funny, because these people would not normally spend money for a wood pen.

JimGo

John,
I like the shape; in fact, I've made some with similar shapes. To me, a standard slimline is too thin to write with comfortably, and I think that's true even for most adults with smaller hands. By giving the lower barrel a gentle curve, you've thickened the barrel and given the user something easier to hold. Your finish certainly looks good in those pictures, too!

My only other critique is that you appear to do like I do, and simply make the ends of the barrels match the bushings. As you can see from the left-hand most pen, this can sometimes lead to the tip not QUITE meeting the end of the lower barrel (i.e. over or under-turned barrels), and even some differences at the CB and finial. If you were to use a micrometer, or even stop the lathe and do a "dry fit" of the tip, you'd probably get more accurate results (again, this is something I need to remember to do, too!).

The tip end is the one about which I am most concerned, since that's what the user will be touching most of the time. Some people like to leave this a little "proud", so there is some room for the user to gradually wear the wood down. If this was a conscious choice on your part, then feel free to disregard my comment! (Actually, feel free to disregard anything I say!)

johnhart

Thanks guys,

Good point...I just started fondling that Beech pen and it does seem a bit annoying to have that ridge there. Another thing I'm noticing is that I like the "angle of approach" on the Ambrosia better than the Beech. It seems to flow into the tip better. I'll work on that.

I don't have the Cherry anymore...someone stole it with a smile [:)]

Ya know what...I lied. I forgot that I used CA on the Beech and Ambrosia before I used the beeswax.

Rifleman1776

Your workmanship is fine, choice of woods outstanding and excellent finish. I do suggest that the shape might not be popular with a lot of people. If a pen isn't comfortable to write with you haven't accomplished your goal. My first pens (Europeans) had a similar bulge because I like to show off the wood. But, even as gifts, they generated complaints that they were not comfortable to write with. I put a couple back on the lathe and turned in comfort ends.

wayneis

You should work on continueing the flow from the bottom blank up through the top blank. If you are going to use a curve make sure that you do it on both halves, the top doesn't have to be quite as rounded as the bottom but they should be close. To me these look bottom heavy. IMHO

Wayne

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree they look bottom-heavy, but I'm not sure that's bad!

If the weight of the pen (which isn't all that much in wood), is pointing downward, it should make writing easier. IF THE PEN IS COMFORTABLE. Only you can tell that (until, of course, the first prospect starts ripping it apart). Good luck with whatever form you choose.[8D]

its_virgil

John,
Since you asked I'll give you my opinion. And it is just my opinion based on my personal tasts and experience. First, I am not a fan of this shape but they do seem to sell well and your look fine to me. Nothing wrong with the workmanship nor the shape really...just not for me. But, hey, we make what sells right. I don't think the guy who sold me my station wagon likes that shape, but it pays the bills.

Second is the finish. Beeswax, carnauba, friction polishes will all loose their pizazz in a short time..a very short time. Moisture, skin oils etc will take thier toll on those finishes. I would suggest that you develop a finishing technique with CA, lacquer, or enduro. These finishes are tuff, shinny, and long lasting. I don't understand why friction polishes and waxes are used over a nice CA finish. Seems a step backwards to me.

Again, nothing personal about your pens. Just my personal choices and thoughts. I hope you take this message with the spirit in which it was composed. Keep making what sells for you. The slimline is a very versatile kit and very forgiving. Take a look my yahoo folder and other folders on this list to see what can be done with slimline kits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Yahoo photo album: http://www.tinyurl.com/38hor

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
"I'm fairly new to pen turning and I'm really struggling for ideas on form."

If I might suggest, the reason you are struggling on form is there is only some much creativity you can do with shape is a 2 " space and not overdo it.
Loose the center band and get creative over the length of the pen if that is your goal.
If you want to continue to make corset waist pens because they sell well then disregard what I just said.
Cross has been selling straight bodied pens for decades.No originality which is why people need to have them engraved.Eah one looks like someone elses.
The manufacturers would do us well if they offered larger CB's in a variety of styles,other wise make your own or make pens without them.
Just my take, disregard if you choose.

I think we all had a similar experience to yours. That is why I try not to use the cb any longer, unless requested. It'll open up a tremendous amount of possibilities for you.
By the way, your pens look good to me, play around with shapes while they are still a large diameter and you can always take them down to a traditional slim shape.

dubdrvrkev

I have made quite a few with a similar shape, and sold about half of them. I have "slimmed them down some since giving them just a gentle taper on both tubes sometimes a little larger on the bottom tubes. I think this is a process we all go through until we find the shape that works for us, both in making and selling. Although I still have to make a lot of gold pens even though I don't normally like them, but they sell well.
Once your bushings get worn in a little then they'll be the right size, and by then you won't be sanding on them or hitting them with tools so they'll last quite awhile. I have found with new bushings that they are a little proud sometimes.
Workmanship looks good as does the finish.

johnhart

Thanks to all of you for your professional critiques. I think I may take everything said into consideration since all arguements seem valid. I am a little curious about losing the CB as suggested. Don't I need that? Or, are you saying that I bring the two halves together wood to wood, matching grain and diameter? Or should I look at a different kit?

See how lost I am?

Anyway...good suggestions. I'm going to play a bit with the form and finish...although, I have been instructed to rely on the patina that finger oils will ultimately acheive. So many possibilities...[;)]

Thanks all

dubdrvrkev

If you pull the back half off of one of your pens, slip the CB off, and slide the pen back together you'll see the difference. No imagine having the whole center to play with. You can just turn it without a bushing in the middle, but I have always added one when I finish. Figured I'd glue the tubes together and make a mess seperating them. You have to clean up the ends a little so the wood mates well at the twist. In my album I have my baseball bat pens that I turn as one piece and use no center band, not premium examples of pens but you can get a visual.

tinker

John,
It appears you have the making of the pens down pat. I like the shape myself, but know what you mean. I am a new pen turner and have been working on just getting a few pens made not worrying much about shape, but getting things to match. I have been checking out a lot of the members websites and looking at their pens for ideas on shapes and styles for when I get comfortable enough to venture out. It would get boring fast just turning the same style and shape over and over.

JimGo

John,
Not exactly the greatest CB-less pens (these were my first try), but they give you an idea of what you can do. BTW, if you look at the red, white, and blue pen, you'll see an idea for replacing the standard centerband with something different. It certainly gives you more options. Keep watching other posts, and you'll see LOTS of pens that look better than mine.

The trick is to get rid of the bushing between the blanks after you've rough turned, and before you start sanding, so the two barrels match as closely as possible.

April%209%20and%2010%202005%20work%20-%20small.jpg

swm6500

John, I am with Wayne in that I think the top should be a closer match to the bottom. Making your own CB's will let you make the complete pen a little larger. Look at the two pens in the center of the page at the link below.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Pens&mid=1093&cid=1220&page=4#

johnhart

Wow...very nice pens...Ok, I think I get it. Too bad the 4th of July weekend is going to get in the way of some serious design experimentation!! Hmmm maybe I can sneak something in. [;)]

Thanks everyone

atvrules1

John, those are nice. The bulge is a little large for me especially since I'm very turned off by the "wasp-waisted" figure of some pens. That being said, some people really like bulging pens, and from the above comments you can see that they do sell some of them. I would sit back and try several from the straight barrel, then make one just a little larger, and do this several times until you have an impossibly fat pen. Line up the whole mess and see which shape appeals to you the most. Then make them, because trying to cater to others tastes will not satisfy you as much as just doing your own thing. I do agree that you need to balance the shape out by also making the top barrel similar, no matter what size you end up, but also listen to the comments about eliminating the center band to gain creativity in shape thru the whole pen. This adds a whole range of new ideas to try. The important thing is to get back on the lathe and make some more shavings. BTW, the finish on the cherry looks great.

johnhart

You wouldn't believe how much I appreciate all this feedback. I normally don't get any objective criticism, that I consider extremely important for growth. I'm going to get some lathe time today and I'll try out a grapevine that I tripped over the other day. We'll see how that works out.

Thanks!

JimGo

John,
I look forward to seeing the grapevine; that could be really interesting!

I agree about the feedback; taht's what keeps me coming back here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom