CRITIQUE - Figure Black Cherry with Ebony CB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron in Drums PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay folks, I'm looking for a Critique. I have a thick skin, so don't worry.

To start off I think the band is a little to wide and the top of the pen flattens a little too much.

Figured Black Cherry, Finished with tong oil, then Shellawax.

114_Cherry%20with%20Ebony%20CB%20Slimline%20-s2%20.jpg

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Nice loooking pen, Ron. The only thing I see is that you may have gone a little thin at the finial... or like you said, ... "the top of the pen flattens a little too much". As for the CB, I like the size, but I tend to make my CBs a little wider than stock. I think it adds a better custom look.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Not being one who has given "critiques" I can only give my observations.
I don't have any issues with the width of the band, I realize there seems to be a "standard " with that come in the sets of components but I usually make my own. The beading is a nice touch, but from the perspective I have It's hard to tell if the spacing on the beads is uniform not that I get mine uniform when I use them.
I wouldn't have noticed the "flatness at the top if you hadn't mentioned nor am I sure it is all that important.
If the buyer likes it then there isn't a problem.
If you don't care for it do one with a different "profile"
Fit looks good. As far as the finish goes, it's difficult to tell because of the angle of the light source.
Not meaning to critsize the photography.
Lighting is important and in this case the viewable side is in the "shadow".
Nice pen, nice conch

JimGo

I'm with Coach, Billy, Eagle and Johnny. The only thing I'd add is that it LOOKS like the end near the tip may be a tad oversize (i.e. "proud"), but that may also be an artifact of the white bottom. Over all, nice job!

Rifleman1776

I disagree with the disagreers. That narrowing at the top gives the pen an elegance that doesn't exist when turned 'right'. You have added style to the slimline that some tend to pooh-pooh as boring.

BogBean

I like the wood and the wide band. I like to make my wood to metal fit +.003 or less. It may be the photo but the fit on the nib end looks to be over .005. I don't like the taper on the cap end, but that is just me. I am sure there are people who would like it. For the whole picture it is a nice pen...

airrat

I will not repeat what everyone else is saying. I like the wood and the center band looks good. I am not sure if I like the gold kit.

Thanks everyone on your feedback. When I go home tonight I'll have to check on the fit of the wood to the nib, I honestly don't remember if there is a step. Personally I dislike feeling a transition from the wood to the nib, I try to get it as smooth as possible.

Yes Shane that should be Tung not Tong!

creaglesc, the beads are not perfect, I tried, but the top one is a little larger. I could trim it down, but I figure it is more fun to make a new pen instead.

Hey you know, critiques are not that bad!!

JimGo and Chuck, You where right!

The wood at the nib is a little too "proud". On close inspection the wood is oval, not by much, but just enough.

The photo shows the wood at it's highest point. Thanks for pointing it out, I would have miss it. (I must need new glasses [:(] )

pen-turners

Ron,
That is the ugliest pen I have ever seen and you need to send it to me right away so I can dispose of it properly!!!!!!!!

Just kidding - looks great and I especially like the black centerband match with the wood.

Chris

I see a possible ridge at the point and clip, but in between looks really good. thanks for a good photo with which to critique from. had you blurred it a bit we would all love everything about it.
I may rotate my blank on the bushings a half turn and touch it with the skew right before I start my sanding to knock off any ridges.

simplepens

I think this thread shows that the "critique" can be done in manner that is for lack of a better word "professional" and courteous manner.

Ron,
Good job on the pen. The CB looks good. Pen finish is good. I think the top is a little thin for my tastes. Thanks for sticking your neck out for this critique.

Fleabit

With the grooving of the CB....it looks fine to me. I don't think it is all that wide. The top does look off, but that could also be due to the angle of the pic. Overall, I think the pen is well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom