Crib Dam Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from angboy

angboy

Yes, I am still alive and making pens, though not as much as I'd like to be doing- other things are taking up a lot of my shop time. Anyway, I finally got around to making a pen from the Crib Dam Wood, and made this baron for a fellow psychologist. It'll be going to be engraved soon, with the recipients name on it.

tn_April82008BSmall.jpg

20085341439_April82008ASmall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I love the pen. I didn't know what "Crib Dam Wood" was so I did a search. Very interesting. How did you get ahold of some, did you have buy a large quanity?

angboy

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have to admit that it's been awhile since I finished this pen- it sat for awhile at the famous assembly station where my pens often sit when I'm reluctant to finish them off- so I'm not certain of the finish, but I do believe it was CA. And I seem to remember that b/c I seem to remember doing a lot fo sanding after putting finish on, which always seems to happen for me- I got too heavy on the CA.

As for where it came from, it was from a group purchase that one of the member handled. I don't know what the status is of the remaining wood, but the organization that was selling it is http://riverfriends.org/

les-smith

Great pen. The crib dam oak is my favorite wood bar none. The history, the color, it just doesn't get any better.

Draken

Great looking pen there Ang! I was the one who purchased some of the wood from Friends of the Rappahannock and chopped it up into pen blanks for sale here. I don't have any more of the oak left, except for what I plan on personally using. I do have a few of the pine bowl blanks and bottle stopper blanks left. They've been sitting in my basement for the last year or two, so I'm not sure what shape they're in, but PM me if interested.

Cheers

keithkarl2007

it is very similar to bog oak. great looking pen. my father used to work for bòrd na mòna driving machines on the bog. Was speaking to him earlier and he knows a few spots where they used to dump it when they hit it with the machines. Needless to say i'll be taking him for a walk some day during the week

wood-of-1kind

Your pen productivity may be lower than before but your pen quality is certainly higher than ever. A wonderful instrument that no doubt will be well received.

Top Bottom