Creamy Boxelder Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sprung

Sprung

Triton Fountain Pen, Chrome with Gold Titanium accents. Nib upgraded to a fine Bock.

Stabilized Boxelder Burl. CA finish.

Headed out to a good friend in a few days. It was a special request as a birthday gift for his wife, who loves fountain pens and has been wanting one of my pens. If it didn't already have a home, my wife would've already snagged it for herself as she loved how this pen turned out. My wife's birthday is coming up, so I think I know what I'll be making her as a gift - one just like it...

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sprung

Thank you, everyone!

where did you get the kit? I like it

I buy them from Exoticblanks.com and Beartoothwoods.com - they both stock them. They're a Berea made kit and I think it's a good quality kit. It's based on the Jr. Gent II style of pen, so it uses the same bushings and drill bits (12.5mm and 10.5mm), though the lower tube on the Triton is shorter than a standard Jr. Gent II lower tube.

Charlie_W

Superb pen! Both the blank selection/mating with components as well as the turning, fit and finish.
Well Done! Looks like a front page pen to me!

Sprung

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words! :)

Matt that blank is real eye candy. Superb finish. Is that a piece of Boxelder hurl under the pen?

That was my question also!

Stunning pen... Very promising background :wink::wink:

Terry and Mark, the background is a block of two-toned Bigleaf Maple Burl - an 8" x 8" x 2 1/4" piece that had a price so nice I couldn't pass it up. I'm waiting for just the right project for it before I start cutting it up. Part of it is possibly going to become veneer for drawer fronts for some small drawers on the hutch of a standing desk I'm building for my office. Though I'll probably also cut some pen blanks out of it and have them stabilized and dyed by a friend, since maple burl takes dye well.

Seems to be trend lately, everyone is posting box elder... I love the stuff, it's always a surprise when turning, hard to tell where the swirls go until you have it turned. Then again I enjoy the surprise.

Top Bottom