Crayon "pen" #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bgibb42

bgibb42

Making these "component-less" (kitless) pens has been a lot of fun and a great teaching experience for me. Of course, I have yet to actually make a real pen, but I'm working my way there. This will be a gift for some friends of ours, who's son will be celebrating his second birthday this Saturday.

One side note. Based on the feedback I got about the cap being a possible choking hazard, which was great point that I neglected to think about, this cap is longer and wider than the last. Comments or criticisms, please!

Attachments

• Crayon pen #2-1.jpg
    Crayon pen #2-1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Crayon pen #2-2.jpg
    Crayon pen #2-2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 267
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

Pretty neat idea...

Question, how do you get the crayon out once the child breaks it off?

Mark, the crayon is not held very tightly, so a couple of raps on the palm of your hand, and shake it couple of times, and the crayon is able to pulled out. Yes, I did try it. It's not easy enough for a child to do it, but an adult should be able to get it out with a little effort.

Is there a way the crayon can be pushed out as it wears down?
BTW: This is Great

Unfortunately, no. That is beyond my skill level right now.

Thanks, everybody for your replies so far.

cnirenberg

Brian,
Pretty cool idea and a terrific first step, now build it around something you use everyday. I did it with the G2 refill. Yes you come up against another threading (either from the nib or a blind cap), but it is usable. I'm not saying yours isn't, it does come in a variety of colored refills, but can/will you sign a check with it?

micah1_8

I wondered this same thing.

Mark, the crayon is not held very tightly, so a couple of raps on the palm of your hand, and shake it couple of times, and the crayon is able to pulled out. Yes, I did try it. It's not easy enough for a child to do it, but an adult should be able to get it out with a little effort.

Unfortunately, no. That is beyond my skill level right now.

Thanks, everybody for your replies so far.

You could drill a small hole in the dead end of the "pen" and use a small pin or paper clip to push the crayon out.

JohnU

I was thinking, this could be adapted to how a lipstick or chapstick works... with a twisting motion on a larger spaced threading so the crayon would keep coming up as needed with minimal twisting. just a thought....

Mark

Neat. I like the idea. Maybe place the child's name & B-Day on the side. Then it becomes a keepsake.. Mo money..:biggrin:

Making these "component-less" (kitless) pens has been a lot of fun and a great teaching experience for me. Of course, I have yet to actually make a real pen, but I'm working my way there. This will be a gift for some friends of ours, who's son will be celebrating his second birthday this Saturday.

One side note. Based on the feedback I got about the cap being a possible choking hazard, which was great point that I neglected to think about, this cap is longer and wider than the last. Comments or criticisms, please!

Fantastic Idea!

Now were did I leave my crayons... :wink:

Top Bottom