Crayon pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edicehouse

edicehouse

Crayons melted down and cut into a blank. Turned and have a CA finish. I noticed on the back side there is some "chip out" on the ca finish. I tried on some samples earlier and the best technique I found was spray the pen with activator then apply a coat of thin CA, do this about 5 times then I switched to 4 or 5 coats of thick CA.

Attachments

• 20160601_184746.jpg
    20160601_184746.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 468
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

That is very cool Ed, I love the colors, but since I'm definitely not the brightest crayon in the box I have to ask the dumb question....there's more to the process than just melting down a bunch of crayons and cutting a blank out of it right?

edicehouse

That is very cool Ed, I love the colors, but since I'm definitely not the brightest crayon in the box I have to ask the dumb question....there's more to the process than just melting down a bunch of crayons and cutting a blank out of it right?

I put the crayons in the freezer over night, that helped out the process of removing the paper. I put the crayons in a dollar store bread pan and had the stove on about 150 and it took a few hours for them to all melt. The top thin layer looked washed out, but 1/8" down a lot of color swirls. After they were all melted I put the pan in the freezer for a few hours. So really there was nothing special that had to be done.

Yes the blanks turned smoother than anything you have ever turned. Do not be aggressive in cutting, and they are very "soft". Make sure when turning keep heat down.

magpens

Looks nice ! . I am really surprised you were able to turn the blank successfully.

When you write with it, doesn't the crayon material start to melt or deform ?

Are these the usual Crayola crayons ?

jttheclockman

Looks nice ! . I am really surprised you were able to turn the blank successfully.

Has a CA finish on it. Why would it melt???

edicehouse

No it has not deformed or anything, been carrying it in my pocket. However I did a security whistle with one and I used the lathe to assemble it. They have a camber in them and it deformed the ends some.

Yes they are from the big box of Crayola.

Top Bottom