Cowhide Leather Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

A friend in town that does leather crafting gave me some scraps of leather yesterday and I glued some up last night . Then this afternoon I decided to try my luck at tuning a leather pen.
There are 35 to 40 crossway's pieces of leather in it. .
I was a little concerned that it might finish off without a smooth feel but much to my surprise it is hard and as smooth as glass after treating it with CA.
The finish is sanding down to 600 grit followed by six applications of CA/BLO applied 20 seconds apart followed by One Step polish and then a coat of carnauba wax. .
This one is going to the friend that gave me the leather and I will be making a few more both in gold and chrome . They are not a thing I would like to make a lot of but as I am always up to a challenge , I just wanted to try it to see if I could do it.

355173349.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

That is really cool. I'd love to know how you got 40 pieces of leather in there.

Dale

W.Y.

That is really cool. I'd love to know how you got 40 pieces of leather in there.

Dale

40 was the starting point with thin leather . About 35 by time I trimmed the ends and installed the tube and trued up the blank .

Just stacked up with glue between each layer and compressed down by clamping. Several discussions with how to pictures on my own Woodworking Friends site prompted me to try making a few of those ..

I can not take credit at all for that type of pen . I was just following what others have shown on my own site to make them.
Wish I had taken pictures myself as well as I went along . Maybe next time .

W.Y.

Seeing as the first one was a freebie to the person that gave me the leather I made a couple more to add to my inventory .
Tried one in gold and one in chrome and used up the last of my bunch of that particular Sierra Click Top kit style. Will put another dozen or so of those kits on my next order .
I went a little overboard with the fatness of the gold one .
Just like some prefer gold over chrome some prefer a fatter pen to match their hand size over a thinner one.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it :biggrin:

LeatherGoldandChrome.jpg

Top Bottom