A Covey (?) of Gatsby pheasants

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JasonM

JasonM

I got several of John U's pheasant blanks a couple of weeks ago and finally got the chance to turn them.

I had spent time on the exoticblanks site trying to decide which of the three blanks I wanted to try out. i was a bit timid as I had never turned anyone's self-cast blanks before and had no idea what to expect. My wife was looking over my shoulder and after several OOO's and AHHH's said "just get all three of them. You know you'll use them and besides - I want one of these pens when you're done". =)

I was a little concerned when I noticed upon milling the blanks that the thin acrylic left on the ends after milling felt a little soft - though it may have been my imagination. I partially blame my garage workshop in the Texas summer for part of that. Once I had a good round on the first one, but while it was still a good way off the bushings, I tested some sandpaper on it to see how it sanded. I found it got hot very quickly, so I just used a very light touch and moved to different parts of the paper a lot. once I knew that, it was back to lathing and you can see the results.

The finish was pretty straightforward - these blanks don't need any special tricking up to look beautiful. Sanded with paper down to 320 grit. Then used a series of micromesh all the way down to 12000. Finished it off by buffing with white diamond and then took it to the soft buffing wheel I use when I'm putting on carnuba. However, I didn't load any wax on it and instead just used whatever residual was on the wheel and relied on the soft fibers to put the final glass on the pen.

Let me know your thoughts!

John - the blanks were beautiful. Top quality! they turned and sanded like a dream and the acrylic is crystal clear. I'll definitely be back for more.

Attachments

• Pheasant.jpg
    Pheasant.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 302
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Great work Jason! I'm glad you and your wife like them. Thanks for posting about your experience with them. That's exactly how I feel everytime I turn something made by another. I still have a few blanks on a shelf I'm waiting to build up confidence for. Lol

JasonM

She claimed the gunmetal kit that's laying down in the foreground. However, odds are that someone will see it, love it, and end up with it. She's my best advertising and salesperson. Just by giving her a bunch of pens to use at work and keep in her purse - she constantly comes home and says "oh, by the way - I sold such and such pen today". LOL

Steve78

Great job. I've bought feather blanks made by John U also. They are top notch and a big hit with everyone in my family who receives them. Toughest part is getting to the site prior to all the blanks being sold out. One of these days I'll get around to shooting some pics myself.

Steve

phillywood

Jason, those pens look beautiful man. You still got one left so you can send it my way,lol. I got one of John's blanks too,boy what you did is almost giving me an itch to get rolling with the turning, but not only I have to build up my nerves for that, but also hurry up and hone my skills up. I have to ask john which one I got it's colorful and pretty. I got to see what type of kit to put it on. Hopefully my nerves will build up really quick, since I can' t wait to turn.

JasonM

Thanks guys.

Philip - once you get in there, I think you'll find it to be pretty easy. If you've ever turned any store-bought acrylic blanks, you'll find this to fall right in line - if not even a little easier. Since the tubes are already in place and the acrylic is already rounded off, you've already got a great head start. As long as you take your time, use sharp tools and don't get overly aggressive, the points where I've historically had the most trouble/blowouts with acrylics (drilling for the tube and rounding off from square) are pre-done and not even an issue. =)

To be honest, when I think back on it, it's what's IN the acrylic that made it seem so daunting. But in then end, you're just turning an acrylic blank.

jskeen

Nice job with those. One of the beauties of those blanks is that while they stand up to the fancier EB style kits, they look great on basic black too. Can't lose with John's feathers.

BTW a group of pheasants is called a bouquet, and a large group is called a nye......not sure why or where the breakpoint is.

Top Bottom