A couple from the weekend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

The first one is a Saturn pen kit I got from Woodturningz. It is the gun metal version. I have done some slimlines in the past, but wanted something different. I used a piece of Red Mallee wood I got from some aussie blanks during the PITH 2010 trade. I know the bottom is thicker bodied then some like it but I personally like the looks of it on this particular pen myself.

The next was me revisiting Purpleheart which I tried in the beginning of my pen turning and didn't have great results. I was very happy with this one. I used a satin/chrome Wall Street II kit I got from WoodCraft.

On both of the pens I did 2 coats thin ca followed by 5-6 coats med ca. Then I did wet MM starting with the 3rd grit and going all the way up. I did also start on a bubinga bowl this morning, but that is going to take me some time. That stuff is very hard and I have some chip outs etc. I finally got the outside under control and am working on hollowing out the inside.

Thanks for looking!

160187-438x.jpg
160188-438x.jpg
160189-438x.jpg
160190-438x.jpg
160191-438x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

BTW: Thanks for who suggested to someone else about stopping the lathe and sanding length wise with the MM after doing a CA finish. This has really improved the end result of my pens I think.

wizard

Todd, Those are some beautiful pens...finishes are awesome. I use the thin CA first 2 coats followed by 6 coats of medium CA... then 600 grit and MM to 12000. Has really improved my finish. Your finish looks awesome and great pics too. Doc

Top Bottom