A Couple Urushi's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chriselle

chriselle

First is just an Ebonite Statesman with a few coats of clear urushi...nice and soft to the touch.

The second is a candidate for next years ugly pen contest:biggrin:....15 layers of colored urushi goofy "spackle".

I promise I'll take some pics of the next batch of nice pens...they should be done in a few weeks.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_8858.jpg
    IMG_8858.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_8873.jpg
    IMG_8873.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 718

CaptG

Ugly pen my , uh, er, bottom side. That is really great looking. Both are. Those are two really awesome looking pens, and you photo skills really make me envious.

oldsmokey

Chris, you would not have my vote for ugly pen. They are both excellent pens.
I, as an expermint tried two pens with metal leaf with chemical patinas. I didn't care for them very much. However the person who bought both of them thought they were the best pens ever.
I think your pens show a lot of artistic talent.
Ellis

altaciii

Really nice pens, Cris.
I really like the non "ugly" one. I see some sort of a blue glare or tint to the finish is that caused by reflection or a poor monitor. Both are beautiful.

TomS

I think your "ugly" pen is fantastic. The color mix reminds me of some dreams I had in the '60's right after I ......well, let's just say I think it's groovy, man.
Tom

Jgrden

First is just an Ebonite Statesman with a few coats of clear urushi...nice and soft to the touch.

The second is a candidate for next years ugly pen contest:biggrin:....15 layers of colored urushi goofy "spackle".

I promise I'll take some pics of the next batch of nice pens...they should be done in a few weeks.

Thanks for looking.
What is "urush"?

workinforwood

I've seen a lot of finishes in a lot of different fields of woodworking, right up into extreme competitions Chris. That second pen is the best looking finish I have ever seen. Most woodworkers could only dream of pulling of something like that. I know it makes me envious.

chriselle

I've seen a lot of finishes in a lot of different fields of woodworking, right up into extreme competitions Chris. That second pen is the best looking finish I have ever seen. Most woodworkers could only dream of pulling of something like that. I know it makes me envious.

Hey thank you everyone. You are all too kind....REALLY!! Jeff, thanks but I think the reason I don't dig it is that it didn't quite turn out like I was expecting. If you saw what I was aiming for you'd laugh, too. Back to the drawing board as they say.

What is "urush"?

John, Urushi is traditional Japanese lacquer...tree sap with a bite..lol. It's not the easiest stuff to get along with but in the end it lives up to it's long history.

chriselle

Chris, you would not have my vote for ugly pen. They are both excellent pens.
I, as an expermint tried two pens with metal leaf with chemical patinas. I didn't care for them very much. However the person who bought both of them thought they were the best pens ever.
I think your pens show a lot of artistic talent.
Ellis

Ellis, that is a whole other world I've yet to explore. It's called maki-e but I've had a heck of time getting the "right" powdered metals.

Really nice pens, Cris.
I really like the non "ugly" one. I see some sort of a blue glare or tint to the finish is that caused by reflection or a poor monitor. Both are beautiful.

Alex, I prefer this one too. The pen is blue ebonite shot on a baby blue background...didn't have white handy, so yes bad blue hue. I gave it to the client today and he was doing back flips..:biggrin:

Russianwolf

Gotta agree with the others. That "ugly" pen looks better than some of the custom orders I've done for clients.

Any chance of getting a tutorial on the process used to do it?

BigShed

They both look very good Chris, well done.

I actually like the El Grande one very much, looks very attractive, even though it didn't turn out as expected.

Happy accident I'd say:)

altaciii

Well Chris, Looks like others think your "ugly" pen deserved more credit than you gave it. Still think its a great looking pen and back flips by the client are well deserved. Congrats.

chriselle

Well, I'll be ..........!!:eek: That pen....Front page!! Surprised but tickled nonetheless.
Thank you all for the kind comments. Makes me wish I had taken pictures of the last group of "pretty" pens before they all sold last week. I have a batch of new urushi pens I'm just starting as a commision and the client just said,
"Go Wild" so I think I will do some more "uglies" and try to document the urushi process along the way.

wizard

I am a true believer in the saying "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". Your "ugly" pen
is by far one of the most gorgeous pens I have ever seen! Your other pen will definitely lose the ugliest pen award. It is also nice!! Wizard

cnirenberg

Chris,
The front page is certainly a stunning expamle of craftsmanship, and it looks like its all your fault. Way to go, I really enjoy your workmanship. That pen is great. All that hard work has certainly paid off.

Top Bottom