Couple of special order pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from aggromere

aggromere

I haven't posted any pics in a while, but here are a couple of the Jr. Gent Twists I mostly make now. One is for an attorney (the montecristo) and the other a lady ordered for his wife with the black Romeo Julieta band.

The montecristo is faux casein/amobyna burl and the Romeo of all African blackwood.

Just snaped the pics quick in the kitchen on the Declaration of Independence Gary made. It's become the only background I use now.

Attachments

• IMG_0600-crop.jpg
    IMG_0600-crop.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0595-crop.jpg
    IMG_0595-crop.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 366
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Peter, Both are great pens! The alternate casein and the amboyna is my favorite as it has a really distinguished look to it and it combines materials that IMO augment each other. Great job on both. Thanks for sharing! Regards, Doc

aggromere

For the labels I have evolved from painting them with decopauge to my current process, which i think is much better.

I flatten out the labels and pin them to a piece of birch plywood and then spray them with a couple coats of decal fixative. It is very thin, but protects the band.

After they dry I test fit them to the pen barrel and trim to size so i have very little overlap at the seam and then glue them in place with elmers white glue, and then roll them on a flat piece of wood to get all the extra glue and air bubbles out, then wipe down with a damp papertowel. (prior to doing this I seal the wood with 3 or 4 thin coats of CA and sand with 600 grit or 1500 mm, wet.)

After the band has set, I put them on a mandrel using johnny's finishing bushings and finish with thin CA. I start at each end and apply two coats up to the band. Then I cover the band. Then I go back to putting two or three coats on the wood, followed by one on the band. Once I get it smooth I apply the full length of the barrel. Also, I put them on the mandrel so that the top of the label seam is not turning into the papertowel with the CA on it, it turns so that I go from the high end of the seam to the low. I find this way I get a much smoother surface with no chance to catch the label and ruin it.

It takes a while, but I have had great success with these pens. In my market guys seem to prefer the jr gent twist over two piece pens.

I know have another excess batch of labels, old antique unused ones, just not the most popular. If anyone wants a few, just send me a SASE and I will send you a few bands if you want to play with it. If you don't have my address, just PM me and I will send it to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom