Couple sierras and corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hanau

hanau

Brother is a welder in South Carolina asked me to make him a pen with his sheet metal union logo

photobucket-51366-1354493086696.jpg

photobucket-17634-1354493129621.jpg

and couple of logo pens for a couple other family members.

photobucket-37716-1354493160736.jpg

photobucket-50640-1354493175664.jpg

photobucket-24689-1354493211402.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

I use decal paper from
Inkjet Decal Paper
I use inkjet since that is the only color printer I have.

I make my logo using paint.net (you will have to figure out the size depending on the pen)

I mainly use clear decal paper and a light color blank since white isn't a ink color.

i usually let it sit a day and dry after printing.

Then I spray it with Testors Decal Bonder spray( i never could get lacquer to seal the ink) 2 med. coats at least a hr a part. then let it sit over night.

Then cut the decal out then apply it.(about 20 -25 sec. in water) smooth it out and let it sit over night and dry.

Apply Ca glue,
first coat I apply using what ever paper towels my wife buys. I apply it to paper towel then wipe it over decal and around the blank. (lathe off)

then at a slow speed i apply 2-6 coats ca(i put a med coats on)

Wet sand it 400 grit
then i go thru the Micro Mesh grits

Then I buff it out using a homemade buffing set up using Tripoli then White Diamond

Last edited:

vfauto

Cut Lines

Those look great, I have tried several and I can see the cut line in the clear part of the paper. How do you cut it out so the edge of the clear part of the decal is not seen threw CA? :at-wits-end:

Thanks Frank

Brother is a welder in South Carolina asked me to make him a pen with his sheet metal union logo

JD Combs Sr

Those look great, I have tried several and I can see the cut line in the clear part of the paper. How do you cut it out so the edge of the clear part of the decal is not seen threw CA? :at-wits-end:
Thanks Frank
I can't speak for how John solves the problem but for the "one", seen here, that I have done I used fine 600g sand paper to sand the edges to feather them. It worked very well.

bobs pens 1

Great looking Pens there could I ask where you purchased your white blanks as to do this project you need a good blank. I have been making some using light maple but I think White Plastic will look better. I have had my wife print me out some decals. The first spray I did on them to fix the colors I over did it and they would runs red as they where drying. So my first coat is a very light one. Come back in two or three hours and give a nice even coat and they did not run. Then come back maybe two to four hours or the next day and spay one more. I found not being in a hurry pays off in this hobby.

I also, talked to a lady at Office Depot who has a $3,000 or more printer which is a Laser Printer. They sell Laser paper that she can print my logos on if I bring my logos on a stick and she will put them in her computer then print them out on her expensive printer. I then take the copies home spray them like I said above and maybe they will be even more clear than my H P Printer copies I have done. Maybe not.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

hanau

Great looking Pens there could I ask where you purchased your white blanks as to do this project you need a good blank. I have been making some using light maple but I think White Plastic will look better. I have had my wife print me out some decals. The first spray I did on them to fix the colors I over did it and they would runs red as they where drying. So my first coat is a very light one. Come back in two or three hours and give a nice even coat and they did not run. Then come back maybe two to four hours or the next day and spay one more. I found not being in a hurry pays off in this hobby.

I also, talked to a lady at Office Depot who has a $3,000 or more printer which is a Laser Printer. They sell Laser paper that she can print my logos on if I bring my logos on a stick and she will put them in her computer then print them out on her expensive printer. I then take the copies home spray them like I said above and maybe they will be even more clear than my H P Printer copies I have done. Maybe not.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

I posted a wanted add in the classified area and a member contacted me and had some 3/4" blanks that he was willing to sell.

I let my decals dry over night then the next day spray a couple coats of sealer on them.
I let mine dry overnight again, cut them out and apply to blank and smooth it out as best as i can. Let dry over night again then start applying ca finish. Then start wet sanding I start with 400 grit to get the ridges down. Then move on to the Micro Mesh pads.

I print my decals out on a Epson inkjet, if i had the extra money and room I might order a laser printer.
But i am happy with the inkjet and so are the people I have done a decal pen for.

hanau

Thanks Frank

I try to cut close to the decal and smooth the decal out and let it dry overnight, then build up ca coats.

I always do the first coat with the lathe off over the decal. wiping down the length of the tube. Trying to make sure to wipe from the decal to the edges and not from the edges to the center of the decal.
here a picture it might explain a little better.

penca_zpscd317524.png

Top Bottom