A couple of segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmartin

I was in Atlanta last week visiting the folks, so I stopped at Highland Hardware. What a great old time hardware store. I wish we had stores like that in Columbus. Any way, I picked up a few items along with some 99 cent pen blanks. Purpleheart, redheart, and some other wood but I don't remember what it is. Finish is CA/BLO. These pens are off tomorrow to a friend in California. I hope you enjoy the pics!

200811205653_segment.jpg

200811205739_gentseg1.jpg

200811205811_gentseg2.jpg

200811205846_sierraseg1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

Thanks very much for the very kind replies.

This style is extremely EASY to do!

I used a stop block on the miter saw with a 15 degree angle cut, but they can be done with 22.5 with good results. Repeat until you run out of blank. I used CA for the glue-up. Goes together rather quickly. Three blanks produced enough to make the two pens pictured.

bitshird

Great segmenting, the turning and finish look to be very well done also, Some one should be extremely proud to show off those fine writing instruments I know I would.

toolcrazy

Very nice pens and great segmentation. I'm a little confused about your instructions, but I'll figure it out. BTW, I'm always confused, it normal for me. [:D]

Mather323

What did you use to cut you pen blank into segements, I made a attempt with my radial arm say and it one sad attempt. Did you use a band saw, and also what is the angle you you used to assemple the segments? Thanks Mike

mwenman

Very nice. Another segmenting that I will have to try

Was confused at first about the instructions given as well until I took a look at the photos and think I have figured it out and will take an attempt to explain for the others that seem to be scratching their heads as well.

It appears that he took a piece of 3/4" stock (as mentioned in the first post about 99 cent blanks) and cut them into strips approx 1/4" or so in width and lets say 6" in length.

From there set a mitre to a 15 degree angle and using a stop block, setup for a 3/4" segment length

you will end up with a 1/4" x 3/4" x 3/4 piece with a 15 degree angle on each end.

set down a piece of waxed paper etc and start gluing up the pieces with CA in the pattern shown

hows that for interpretation??? :D

Hope you all have a fantastic year.

Mike

Rmartin

Thanks Mike. Well written and accurate. First let me give credit where credit is due. I was inspired by a tutorial by Mike Vickery. You can find it by clicking on the Library link at the top of this page. Then go to the Index link, scroll down to:

Segmented Pens by Jim Boyd, Ron Sardo, Ron McIntire & Mike Vickery (2006)

Mike uses a table saw to cut the blanks into strips and then cut them on thirty degrees. His are also thicker than the mine. The more degrees you go and thicker the pieces the more pens you can get.

Mike did a good job of explaining my process (gee there's a lot of Mikes), so I took a picture.

20081223190_segjig.jpg
<br />

OK, in the picture above, I have a zero fence set to my chop saw. (Simply a piece of plywood glued and screwed to another piece) The saw is set at 15 degrees with a stop screw set on the saw to keep from cutting all the way through the plywood jig. I'm left handed, so the block of wood on the other side of the blade is not the blank. That is a scrape piece which has been screwed to the plywood jig. It keeps all the pieces the same width. With each cut, let the blade come to a full stop, clear the cut piece and continue cutting another until you run out of blank. Use a seperate piece of wood to hold the blank while cutting. Cutting a notch in the end helps. Just like you might use to push a piece through a table saw.

I hope this helps, and go make some pens!

mwenman

Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />Ooops, I cut my segments 90 deg, will it still work? I could set an angle on my disk sander and 'fix' the edge if need be. Thanks in advance.

Any angle from would work. It will just affect how your pattern looks. There was a previous post where a person or 2 used a small square piece as the center portion and built off their pattern off of that, so would have had to be at 90 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom