A couple of segmenting experiments this week

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hunterdave99

hunterdave99

As I start down the path to the dark side, I want to understand the limitations of gluing and what kinds of forces a segmented blank can take, how accurate the cuts need to be, etc.
So I threw together a couple of blanks from pieces in the cutoffs bin.
Not one side was flat, parallel, or square and I left them that way on purpose.
I used the calipers to determine which edge was the shortest and alternated that from side to side just to keep the blanks going in a semi straight direction.
I glued up some with CA and some with wood glue and clamped the heck out of them to see if I could close the gaps. That actually worked fine.
The ones I glued up longitudinally of course blew up when I tried to drill them.
The pastel colored one was a blank I tried to make out of Tums antacid.
That's right Tums. :)
I thought it would look pretty neat,
Kept coming apart during drilling.
My CA glue joints held together but the Tums were too weak in between.
The CA doesn't penetrate very far since they are so densely packed.
I'm not sure if I could stabilize them or if they would just dissolve.
I'll have to try that when I get back stateside in a couple years.

The finished pens will go towards my own personal pens for troops campaign.
Gave away about 50 last month for Christmas.
Hoping to do about a 100 this year.
Dave

Attachments

• 20170119_204404.jpg
    20170119_204404.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 20170119_204436.jpg
    20170119_204436.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 20170119_204634.jpg
    20170119_204634.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 20170116_122047.jpg
    20170116_122047.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 20170108_095559.jpg
    20170108_095559.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 255

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Write down all your experiments, what you liked, what went wrong. It will be a valuable resource as you refine your skills.

You have a wealth of knowledge already in those first few experiments.

Just a few suggestions: For wood-wood and wood-veneers, I use Titebond Transclucent (most other wood glues will also be fine); For any other materians with wood (i.e., plastic, credit card, metals) I use a 2 part epoxy.

Try to get your joints as even as possible so that you don't have to overclamp to get them to meet.

Check out the segmenting forum for ideas and questions that others have already asked: Segmenting - International Association of Penturners

Have FUN!

jttheclockman

Dave

Welcome to the world of segmenting. You will have fun experimenting and trying new things to use and new designs as you grow into it. As Mark said he gave the forum link and there is a lot of info there already. I too use Titebond II for wood to wood gluing and epoxy when using other medium. I am never in a rush to drill blanks or work them that I have segmented. Too much work goes into them to rush the process. When segmenting drilling dead center becomes a norm and you need to be able to do this well or else it shows in the blank finish product. Good luck and ask any questions you want.

OZturner

Nice Group of Experiments, Dave.
The pens turned out Fine, Great Fit and Finish.
Regarding the Tums, I would imagine that their major constituent would be Bi-Carbonate of Soda, so good luck with that.
The odd wooden ones, Good luck Drilling as I don't know how you intend to hold and Support, all those protruding Edges.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom