A couple of segment experiments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JUICEDSS

JUICEDSS

My first attempts at segmenting 2 different types of wood. I learned a lot from these two and I'll work until I get a good process down. They certainly aren't perfect but they'll pass. The left pen is Cedar and Redheart, the right pen is Redheart and Olive wood with a CA finish. The aluminum is from a Labatt's beer can borrowed from my neighbor. And the last photo is the glue up of the pen on the left. Please don't judge, LOL. I'll make a nice jig for glue ups tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 356
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Butch, they look great. Take notes, be attentive to your process and how to make improvements to get where you want to be, and play around with different designs. Jigs are very, very helpful; but repeated attempts will take you from 80% - 85% - 90% to where you want to go.

Oh, dump the Labatts and get a high quality brew, like... Mickey's Wide Mouth (KIDDING!). :eek:

Woodchipper

Nice segmented pens. Pen making is a continual journey of doing, sometimes failing, and learning as you go. This website is great to help on that journey. Ask questions and post photos of your work. BTW, you are off to a good start!

Woodchipper

I was caught with the middle one. The "spots" look like the rivets on knife scales. Very creative with that one and all you have posted. Thanks for sharing.

Woodchipper

I'm jealous! How do you keep the angled glue joints from slipping when clamped? Drill and insert tube and glue to keep from slipping? BTW, impressive blank and pen!

JUICEDSS

I'm jealous! How do you keep the angled glue joints from slipping when clamped? Drill and insert tube and glue to keep from slipping? BTW, impressive blank and pen!
That was prior to being drilled. Just can't clamp too tight. I also had to scratch up the tin pretty good to get the glue to adhere. It came apart a few times. Still learning.

jttheclockman

Looks good. If you are looking for a little suggestion on clamping here is a quick easy method. Aluminum angle bought at Home Depot. I prefer epoxy when gluing dissimilar materials.

Attachments

• IMGP0072.jpg
    IMGP0072.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMGP0071.jpg
    IMGP0071.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 178

OZturner

Brilliant Concept and Execution, Butch.
Love the Simple Straight Cut Segmenting, and the Finished Result.
When I have used all the Blanks I have, I will now have a use for all the Off Cuts, and small sections I have stashed all through my Workshop, that SWMBO wants me to throw out, because they "Were Useless". :highfive:
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom