A Couple of Recent 'Kitless' Custom FPs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drgoretex

drgoretex

Hello folks,

Sure enjoying looking at all the other awesome pens on the forum, so I thought I'd put up a couple of pics of recent pens of my own for those who have not already seen them elsewhere.

The first started out being a 'test' to see how this blue-green acrylic came out once finished and hollowed. As I went along, I just kind of fell into the pen-making pattern, and five or so hours of work later, I had a nice new pen :tongue: . Turned out to be even more translucent than anticipated, which produced a cool 'almost a demonstrator' type effect after I polished the inside of the barrel and cap. One person pointed out that it kind of looks like seeing the nib 'just under the surface of the water'. I fitted this one with a JoWo broad steel nib from Brian at Meisternibs.

IMG_6856.jpg

IMG_6865.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

The second one is a commission which I finished a few nights ago - the one who commissioned it wanted one of my 'bamboo' styled pens, but wanted a cool, whimsical, fun acrylic, and chose this blue flake - one of my very favourites. I set this one up with a fine tip JoWo nib as requested.

IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6899.jpg

IMG_6924.jpg

Thanks for having a look!

Cheers,

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Lar

A couple really nice pens. I like the translucent acrylic. I have always tried to stay away from that type od acrylic, but will try one now. Great shape idea for the bamboo shaped pen.

SDB777

Gotta know what you used to 'polish' the inside of the cap? I probably have been trying to 'over-think' polishing tha transulent stuff the wife makes....(not that I get accused of thinking(over-thinking) anything around here:rolleyes:

First pen is absolutely great, the shape, the finish, and the way everything comes together......A+

Second pen is very unique, it almost doesn't look like a pen when it's closed with the raised pieces. It will definitely be handled by a lot of folks on a show table wanting to know what it is.

Both blanks are great, and you did them up just great!!!

Scott (do I need help, you know...with medication) B

drgoretex

A couple really nice pens. I like the translucent acrylic. I have always tried to stay away from that type od acrylic, but will try one now. Great shape idea for the bamboo shaped pen.

Thanks very much! I have turned a few translucent or even transparent acrylics, and always a bit nervous whether they will come out decent. A lot more work what with having to finish the inside :bulgy-eyes: - but in this case, I don't think you'd go wrong having a go at it. It's a really nice material. Even nicer in person. In fact, I am thinking of pulling this one out of the sales pile and keeping it for me :tongue:.

Gotta know what you used to 'polish' the inside of the cap? I probably have been trying to 'over-think' polishing tha transulent stuff the wife makes....(not that I get accused of thinking(over-thinking) anything around here:rolleyes:

First pen is absolutely great, the shape, the finish, and the way everything comes together......A+

Second pen is very unique, it almost doesn't look like a pen when it's closed with the raised pieces. It will definitely be handled by a lot of folks on a show table wanting to know what it is.

Both blanks are great, and you did them up just great!!!

Scott (do I need help, you know...with medication) B

Thanks for the compliment!

Polishing the inside is a pain in the butt. I usually just use pieces of thin dowel or drill bits with successive grits wrapped around them, and then Hut polish the inside with a twisted up piece of paper towel. But, the reality is I should probably come up with better tools for that job, as it's really hard to do a through job in the barrel (fortunately the barrel is thicker so it matters a bit less).

Happy turning,

Ken

cnirenberg

Ken,
I'm a big fan of your bamboo styled pens. The blue one is right up there with my favorites. Nice match up with the color and pen style, they work well together. I'd hadn't seen the green pen anywhere else. I love it when "stuff" happens, and what you thought would be OK really tips the WOW scale.

Top Bottom