Couple of recent Dragon Twist Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ken Wines

Ken Wines

This is my first time posting to this forum. The first photo is a Dragon twist pen made of Redheart scale inlays in a Yucatan Rosewood framework. The second photo is a 3D texturing of scales on the pen tubes in Ebony.

Attachments

• IMG_3595.JPG
    IMG_3595.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    384.6 KB · Views: 275
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Wow!!!! Those pens should have been entered in our Bash contests last month!
Beautiful work and match up to the pen.

Also, head over to the Introductions tab and tell us a little about yourself!

Last edited:

Pierre---

Great!
Would you mind sharing the way you did that?
Ebony : chisel and patience? I can't figure out how you made the first one. :confused:

Rolandranch

This is amazing! I love the texturing on the ebony and the segmenting is also phenomenal. I'd love to hear your methods if you care to share.

Thanks for sharing!

Ken Wines

For those inquiring as to how the pen blanks were made I'll try to explain it for pen 1 and if I'm allowed will post a video link to a video I made of the CNC machine cutting the lower blank of pen 2. The video is running in real time with a cut time of 17 1/2 minutes. Watching the video would explain the process far better than me using 1000's of words trying to explain it. Pen 1 however was cut on a laser utilizing a rotary that I built that is mandrel based. It's a two part process where the dark wood is cut first with cutouts for the inlays, the rosewood is one solid piece of wood. The second part of the process is cutting the inlays out of redheart using the same design drawing but enlarging each inlay by the width of the laser beam to compensate for the laser kerf that enlarged the cutouts in the rosewood. So anyway getting back to pen 2 (the 3d pen_ here is a link to my Facebook video of the lower tube of the pen being cut .... http://www.facebook.com/kenneth.wines/videos/10210531891887092/

Last edited:

OZturner

Brilliant Pens, Ken,
Both are Glorious, But the Ebony is Outstandingly Beautiful, and Being 3 Dimensional, it would also Be Fantastically Tactile.
Thank you for your Brief Description of how you Achieved them.
For the members who, for any number of reasons, do not have a Face Book Registration, would it be possible to post your Video as a YouTube, and provide that Link?
Great Craftsmanship, I Eagerly Look Forward to your Future Posts,
Brian.

Top Bottom