Couple of quick pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gilmax

gilmax

Here is a couple of quick pens I did to get me back into the swing of things as I have taken a year off from making pens. First is a Curly Massaranduba and the second is an Olivewood.

Attachments

• 201303-1.jpg
    201303-1.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 201303-2.jpg
    201303-2.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 201303-3.jpg
    201303-3.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 201304-1.jpg
    201304-1.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 201304-2.jpg
    201304-2.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 201304-3.jpg
    201304-3.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 137
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Ryan, Welcome back to your lathe.
IMHO the bulbous shape of the Pens is not my thing.
I found it hard to see the fit of the centre band, as it is too far down in the waist.
Your Finish is fine, though somewhat flat. Is that what you were after?
I would also suggest that you use a plain background that does not distract from the Pen.
Please take my comments in the caring spirit they were given.
You have demonstrated that you have considerable skill, talent and passion for turning. I look forward to seeing further examples of your work.
Sincerely,
Brian.

gilmax

Ryan, Welcome back to your lathe. IMHO the bulbous shape of the Pens is not my thing. I found it hard to see the fit of the centre band, as it is too far down in the waist. Your Finish is fine, though somewhat flat. Is that what you were after? I would also suggest that you use a plain background that does not distract from the Pen. Please take my comments in the caring spirit they were given. You have demonstrated that you have considerable skill, talent and passion for turning. I look forward to seeing further examples of your work. Sincerely, Brian.

Thank you for your comments, and all was taken in the caring sprit in which they were given. If it didn't want honest feedback on my work, I would post them up for review. I'd rather the one critical response vs any other post. The only way I will get better is to listen to what others think of my work.

I prefer a larger style pen, so I tend to do a teardrop on slim lines because of that. I did go a bit large on these, but I was playing around to see how I liked it. I agree it is a bit large, and I don't think I will go that large unless asked by a customer again.

The finish is a bit flat, but that is what I was looking for.

I'm still working on my photography skills, so I'll try something different on my future pens.

Thank you again.

Top Bottom