Couple of Platinum Filigree Pens Critique Away

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
These are two 7mm Euro Filigree Pens in Platinum. Thanks to Dean (Heretic)for the black walnut blank, and Bob (Thumbs) for the white acrylic blank. I am ambivalent on this particular kit, not quite sure I like it. Input welcome, pro or con.

%20Pens%20White%20Acrylic%20and%20Black%20Walnut-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Very visually distinct; I like that kit, except for the centerband; I don't like the fact that the filigree is separate from it - would you please fix that? [:D] I'm partial to the white one because of the slight curve to the shape in the lower barrel, but they both look like the fit and finish are very good. I can't believe the black one is walnut; the color looks great!

I wonder how they would look with the tops swapped?

WoodChucker

I've never been a big fan for that type of pen but you sure made them look good! I might have to give one a try now, dang it. [:D]

wdcav1952

Thanks for the input. I feel the kit needs a solid color. I first made the kit with a decent piece of carob from Ryan at Woodturningz. The wood was nice, but with the filigree kit, the overall result was definitely poor. I then did the walnut one, and like that much better.

Jim, I will try swapping the ends. If it looks decent, I'll repost the pix. Thanks to all for the input.

53Jim

Your pens look fantastic. No question about that. The question I have is... why use a filagree kit on a nice looking blank; half of it is going to get covered up.

I've never been fond of the fiagree because of that fact, but than again, I'm a newbie.[:I]

elody21

Beautiful job on the pens! They look great. Platinum, in this set is one of my favorites!!! I use this set to make bridal pens in white corian and the Americana Filigree in black corian for the grooms pen!

wdcav1952

Originally posted by 53Jim
<br />Your pens look fantastic. No question about that. The question I have is... why use a filagree kit on a nice looking blank; half of it is going to get covered up.

I've never been fond of the fiagree because of that fact, but than again, I'm a newbie.[:I]

Thanks, Jim. Your comment about covering up the wood is likely why I am ambivalent on the filigree kit. I figure I will never know for sure how I feel about a kit until I try it which is why I bought these two kits. That is also why I would never use a burl or figured wood for this kit as the emphasis is on the filigree. I do feel this is a good kit for a mono color (is that understandable?) blank. Bounce back up to Alice's post about bride and groom pens in corian; that better explains what I am trying to say.

The Polaris/Atlas is another kit I am unsure of my feelings for. I got these three Platinum kits to try. Lou said it best for this kit in that it feels good in the hand. Top to bottom, these are Dario's mesquite, my willow burl stabilized by Steve White, and a piece of Iroko(sp?) given to me by Bob (Thumbs). The kit displays the wood well, but I am still not sure if I like the kit.

Mesquite%20Stabilized%20Willow%20Burl%20%20Iroko-1.jpg
<br />

wayneis

William one thing many of us (myself included)seem to forget sometimes is that it doesn't really matter what we like or dislike, what matters is what the customer likes or dislikes. As far as the filigree kits goes one thing that I have had success with is using burl on the bottom and a plain matching or contrasting color on the top under the filigree. This way the the top and bottom catches the eye and you do not waste a nice piece of burl.

Wayne

woodscavenger

That is a good tip Wayne. You are full of them today!

William, I am in the middle of deciding on the Polaris myself. In fact I have a nearly completed mesquite on the lathe right now. I am a little unsure as well.

PenWorks

Those came out really nice William, good job. I never made one. I was never really sold on the top filagree, but they look great.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I really like these two, William. The dark one is my favorite--probably due to the more traditional styling. Fit and finish on these two is really excellent.

woodguy1975

Without reading JimGo's response the first thing that popped in my head was that I liked the shape of the white one more. I like a lot of the others guys never really gave the filligree much of a look, but I do like the look of those pens. Solid colors definitely do worke well for this type of kit.

Nice work,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom