Couple of pens using Invisavue blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from schreiber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert111

I'm brand new at this, but it seems like the invisavue blanks have a pretty low melting point, making it hard to remove scratches.

Yep, they sure do melt easy. But they will finish beautifully. If you're not wet wet sanding you should. Always. On every material.

Great looking pens!

schreiber

I'm brand new at this, but it seems like the invisavue blanks have a pretty low melting point, making it hard to remove scratches.

Yep, they sure do melt easy. But they will finish beautifully. If you're not wet wet sanding you should. Always. On every material.

Thanks for that tip, Robert! I really appreciate it. Wet sand even with the micro-mesh, huh? :glasses-cool: (If all else fails, I suppose I could read the directions that came with the m-m. :rolleyes: )

Great looking pens!
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

seamus7227

love the material(invisavue) and + 1 on the wet sanding, just be sure to lay a towel down on the lathe bed! I think your photos would look great without all of the distractions in the background. Use a solid color, white, gray or black. thanks for sharing!

Wright

Yes, like Robert said, wet sand everything and go through all MM grits. I use novis 2 polish. It will remove small scratches. I like your pens, for being new I think you did an excellent job.

schreiber

Thanks, Wright; I appreciate that.

Sanding question for anyone: I start out at 220 to help smooth out my still rough cutting work. Is 220 too coarse to start with? Too fine?

seamus7227

Sanding question for anyone: I start out at 220 to help smooth out my still rough cutting work. Is 220 too coarse to start with? Too fine?

this is a good question! I think the answer will depend on how smooth a cut you are getting. Are you using a skew? If so, provided it is sharp and used properly, you could start out with the (second step)green pad of MM instead of the orange(first pad). Either way, you should be fine.

alamocdc

I don't wet sand wood, but I ALWAYS do acrylics. I lay a piece of plastic over the ways to keep the water off them. I also start sanding acrylics at 400 grit. And I never use a gouge on pens. That name tends to hold true to what happens when I've tried it. LOL! I would suggest a round nosed scraper if you are uncomfortable with a skew. But watch some videos of skew use and do some practicing. Or find somebody to show you how to use one. They cut nicely once you get used to them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom