Couple of pen - pencil sets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hubert H

Hubert H

Snake wood and Mappa on Stratus and Slim Line pen/pencil sets. They have Ebony segments added. They were finished with Solarez.

Just a little extra - I have been watching Michael Broberg's thread asking for the perfect click pen. Wonder why no one has made one to match his criteria. I know I for one would be buying them.

Attachments

• IAP.jpg
    IAP.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 303
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Those are beautiful !!!!!

Where do you get the Mappa ? . I really love the look of it and would like to get some.

Last edited:

magpens

Just a little extra - I have been watching Michael Broberg's thread asking for the perfect click pen. Wonder why no one has made one to match his criteria. I know I for one would be buying them.
I think the reason is that, IMO, the pen kit design and manufacturing industry has stagnated. . There is just not a big enough market to financially justify pen kit innovation. . Plus, the people that design pen kits are probably not pen makers and don't take sufficient interest in what pen makers want.

One other example that comes to mind is the Sierra twist style pens. . Originally, a 27/64" tube was used in order to accommodate the old-fashioned barrel twist mechanism at the center of the pen. . The result was that the blank material, after turning, was insufficiently thick to allow any creativity in shaping the pen. . Finial twist mechanisms eventually got developed; they are both less bulky and positioned so that the brass tube diameter could easily be reduced to, say, 8 or 8.5 mm. . This would allow the finished blank material thickness to be doubled, allowing more creativity in the shaping. . But no manufacturer has yet done this, and I wish they would.

Would be interested in others' comments.

Last edited:

Hubert H

Mal,

I was able to get a board from Rare Earth Hardwoods in Traverse City, MI. I have thought about buying another board from

Mappa Burl

They have some nice stuff but I don't think I could use that much.

magpens

Hubert,

Thank you.

I see that Mappa is a European wood and I will have to do a little research about it.

Having looked at that website, I realize that the quantity of wood you have to buy is only one of the issues ... the price you have to pay for it is not insignificant, also !!!

I will be watching for a pen blank sized offering.

Hubert H

Thanks for the comments. Mal, I should add that the board I was able to get was very small - 5 pen blanks. It was in the cut of section at Rare Earth Woods.

Top Bottom