A couple o' Cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lkorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkorn

A pair of Cigars, one of CAMO wood that you're not supposed to be able to see[8)], and the other is Bamboo flooring.

2005824152444_2%20Cigars.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Larry, the bamboo looks great. I only see some black fittings on the other one...how did you get them to stand up like that? [;)]

ilikewood

Do you have a little better picture of the bamboo? Does it show quite a bit of grain or is it rather plain? Just curious cuz I want to turn one for myself.

Nice job on the Camo, but I'm sure it would look better if I could see it![:D]

Czarcastic

Larry:
How about a little more info up on the bamboo flooring. Please? I've been a little gun-shy to try it, but I'm very interested, since your results look great.

Thanks

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Czarcastic
<br />Larry:
How about a little more info up on the bamboo flooring. Please?

Second that, Please share with us. That Bamboo pen is exceptional. The camo one is nice to but I really like the bamboo.

Ron Mc

Larry,
Great cigars! Is the Bamboo fllor pen as white as it looks or does it have a yellow tint to it? It may the a collor I am looking for. Where would one find Bamboo flooring?
Thanks for sharing.

lkorn

Sorry guys, I don't have a better photo available. However, the flooring material is about 5/8" thick to start with. I sanded the pre-finish off of two 6" long flooring sections (about 4" wide) pieces and glued them together with Tite Bond II. then ripped the block into pen blanks. The color in the photo is very close to real. What doesn't show well here is the subtle streaks of dark gold sporadically running through it.
My first attempt at finishing was a disaster. Because the pen was a rush order sample for a possible large order, I used a lacquer based friction polish that created awful staining and streaking. Since ther's never enough time to do things properly, but ALWAYS time for rework, I stripped it off and used a straight CA finish which looks great. Another problem was with the sandpaper I used. I used Klingspoers wet/dry paper to 1200 grit. No problems to 1000, but the last grit left black streaks in the open pores. Again I had to sand down and switch to micro-mesh before running out of sanding grits. Not a real problem, but just a part of the learning curve. The CA being such a clear finish, also allowed the gold streaking to show.

Thanks for all the nice comments. And I'm sorry that you had such trouble finding the Camo pen[:)]

ilikewood

I have a bunch of bamboo flooring left over from putting my floor in. It is the same color as what Larry has here. E-mail me and we can work out a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom