Couple of newbies to the collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

Penn State had a fathers day special on their majestic pens so I thought I'd give them a try. I'm teetering on the crystal in the clip. Right now I'm thinking it makes it look classy, yesterday I thought it made it look garish, and have no idea what I'll think tomorrow!;)

One is african kingwood, which I just got saturday and really enjoyed turning, the other is amboyna burl, my favorite wood. Both are finished with CA.
2007618203938_african-amboyna-majestics.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Very well done!

What's your impression of the kits? I haven't seen any of these in person, and haven't really seen much feedback on the kits either.

GoodTurns

VERY nice, love the Kingwood, goes great with the kit (tho' amboyna is on the top of my list as well).

I have wondered about the crystal as well, can't much tell from pictures (yours or catalog/website) if it adds anything to the finished product.

Texatdurango

I like the kits. Actually, the assembly is identical to the Statesman and Emperor kits, the only other two upscale kits I have tried but suspect the other upscale kits are the same as well. All three use the same size drills and basically the same brass with only scant differences in lengths. All involve pressing four parts and you're done, the simplest kits I've ever done!

The upper and lower halves are interchangable between all three kits. Actually once I got to mixing and matching, a good combo would be the majestic lower body on a statesman upper body. [:)]

The only reason I bought the majestics is because they were on sale, and that is probably what would drive me to buy any of the premium kits in the future because I don't heavily favor one over another.

Here are some close ups for comparisons sake.

Black is majestic, Buckeye is Statesman, Olive burl is Emperor.
200761821439_comparisons.jpg
<br />

2007618214327_comparisons1.jpg
<br />

2007618214342_comparisons2.jpg
<br />

Thumbs

Beautiful pens, George!

I had checked the PSI site earlier this afternoon because I had gotten a notice on this sale with my MLCS e-mail ad the other day. It's already sold out! I suspect we'll see a few more of these showing up here in the next few days......

Very nicely done. Now that I've seen the PSI kit close up and done this well, I will try it. Haven't tried the others as the large gent size pens make great conversation but dont sell well for me. The Jr sizes do better.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by oobak
<br />Very nicely done. Now that I've seen the PSI kit close up and done this well, I will try it. Haven't tried the others as the large gent size pens make great conversation but dont sell well for me. The Jr sizes do better.
The smaller sizes may sell better, I wouldn't know about that, but I have a feeling that if people were around these pens as much as we are or given a few minutes to actually sit down and write with them rather than just doodle on a scratch pad, they would migrate towards the larger pens.

Personally, when I started turning pens I said I would never buy one of the larger kits, now I carry around one of my closed end Jr Gents or a statesman pen... in my pocket, and I don't walk around stooped over! [:D]

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom