Couple of New Pens....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from challagan

Status
Not open for further replies.

challagan

Here are a couple of new pens that I finished.

This one is a Flat Top American Double Twist. Rosewood with a lacquer and TSW finish. This is a tough kit. I had one that just would not assemble and work properly. This one is just fine.
RWFTA.jpg

The second is a PSI Comfort Pen in Rosewood/Titainum. Lacquer and TSW finish. I didn't use the rubber piece. I think this makes a very nice looking pen with the fancy clip, tit finish and the wider center band.
RWComfort.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Corey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wags54

Corey nice looking pens. Been thinking about trying one of those Ameriaclassic click pens myself, just havn't worked up the nerve. LOL

challagan

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Corey,
What kind of rosewood is it? Nice looking pens.
Rob

Rob, the rosewood I bought from Woodturningz... was billed as South American Rosewood. Nothing spectacular. Not light the Brazilian.

Thanks for the comments on the finish. I have been working hard on stepping up the finishes. The FT pen I sprayed with lacquer about 7 coats and when cured MM'd it 1500-12,000. On the comfort pen, I used Russ Fairfields method as described on his website "Lathe Applied Lacquer". I don't know if Russ meant this for pens, but I found that if I used the deft in the same manner on the pens I got a great silky smooth finish. Takes just as long to cure though. I applied 4 coats on the lathe in the manner Russ describes and then I applied a layer a little thicker with a padded paper towell and applied it with the grain getting it smooth as possible and not wiping anything off. Let it cure for 5 days, MM'd it from 2400 to 12,000 and that was the result. Easy but the curing time is just as long as any other lacquer application.
Thanks again!
Corey

challagan

Originally posted by challagan
<br />
Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Corey,
What kind of rosewood is it? Nice looking pens.
Rob

Rob, the rosewood I bought from Woodturningz... was billed as South American Rosewood. Nothing spectacular, nothing like the Brazilian.

Thanks for the comments on the finish. I have been working hard on stepping up the finishes. The FT pen I sprayed with lacquer about 7 coats and when cured MM'd it 1500-12,000. On the comfort pen, I used Russ Fairfields method as described on his website "Lathe Applied Lacquer". I don't know if Russ meant this for pens, but I found that if I used the deft in the same manner on the pens I got a great silky smooth finish. Takes just as long to cure though. I applied 4 coats on the lathe in the manner Russ describes and then I applied a layer a little thicker with a padded paper towell and applied it with the grain getting it smooth as possible and not wiping anything off. Let it cure for 5 days, MM'd it from 2400 to 12,000 and that was the result. Easy but the curing time is just as long as any other lacquer application.
Thanks again!
Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom