A couple new ones - gifts for LOML

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ted iin Michigan

My wife (who lusts after most of my stuff) saw a casein blank several months ago and wondered if I could make her one ("any style - you choose"). Aha, I thought - perhaps a Christmas present. So I got a blank of "alternate Casein" from Exotics and, viola - I'm a hero. She loved it!

Then (also a while back) I saw Brooks' cyclist blank (also at Exotics) so I managed a couple. I've been cycling for better than half my life and only recently LOML has joined me. We do spin at the local Y during the off season (read our 6 month winters) and that qualifies as cycling to me. So another present. She is now ready to go back to work in Jan in style!

Side note - Thanks to Ed @ Exotics for the assistance!

Comments welcome.

Attachments

• Apex - gun metal - alt casein1.jpg
    Apex - gun metal - alt casein1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 283
  • Apex - gun metal - alt casein3.jpg
    Apex - gun metal - alt casein3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Manhattan - chrome - cyclist1.jpg
    Manhattan - chrome - cyclist1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 263
  • Manhattan - chrome - cyclist2.jpg
    Manhattan - chrome - cyclist2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Alzey - The cyclist pen is a Manhattan from CSUSA. The casein is a new one from PSI called Apex.

The Manhattan is a relatively new offering which has been reviewed here at IAP (I think). I like it a lot. Single tube which is long enough to show off the blank. It's their "Apprentice" line which means it's at the low end of what they sell but I don't see it. The only thing I see that I'm not too fond of is the clip. It's stamped and has 2 "hooks" which hold it to the body. It appears flimsy but I've had no complaints and I've sold quite a few.

I saw the Apex and bought several kits right away. After I did this one, I thought it was quite top-heavy but LOML thinks it's the neatest thing ever. And that says a lot - she has a LOT of pens! The metal tip is rather narrow and if you make a straight transition to the body, the blank will be too thin which necessitates the turner do something to beef it up a bit (the warning is in the instrs). Assembly is (kind of) easy, but if the click mech if defective, you'll prob destroy the blank getting it out. Time will tell whether it sells. But it certainly is distinctive!

Thanks, Glen. The alt casein turns pretty straight forward. I PM'd Ed @ Exotics to see if there was anything special about it and he helped out (like he'd do anything else). Turns out (no pun intended) that it works like a PR, I think.

Top Bottom